Out

A/N: I know my time line is screwy, but I'll try and figure out how best to fix it. Sorry all. x 

She had had the talk with Chloe. She had had the talk with all of her friends. Did she really have to have it with her parents? Chloe kept insisting, and Beca kept putting it off, but it was December 15th, three days before Beca's birthday and Beca knew she had to do it eventually if she wanted Chloe at her birthday dinner. Knowing both her parents and her step monster in one room, Beca wanted her there. So, reluctantly, Beca took off on foot to her dad's, close by, home. As much as Chloe's offers to come for moral support was tempting, Beca figured it would be easier to do it alone. Instead of going directly, to her house, Beca decided to take a detour to her mom's hotel. She'd rather only do this once.

BECA: Hey, Mom, any way you can meet me at the front entrance of your hotel?

Beca flipped from her mom's contact without waiting for a response and went to her dad's message thread.

BECA: Hey, Dad, could the step monster be civil if I brought Mom over. I need to talk to you about something.

As Beca arrived at her mom's hotel, she saw the brown-haired woman, who stood no taller than Beca. "Momma" Beca grinned, wrapping her arms around her mom, who hadn't gotten in until late last night.

"Beca bug." Her mom whispered holding her daughter tightly. Beca's mom had been air force once upon a time, but had turned to commercial flying in the past years, so Beca had to move in with her father for the last two years of high school. Neither of Beca's parents had been raised in the South, so anytime Beca did anything remotely southern, her parent's teased her lightly. From a young age, Beca learned how to channel it when she needed it. "So what's up Bug?" Beca's mom asked, looking deeply into her daughter's eyes. Courts said that Beca had to move in with her father, but Ms. Mitchell never lost touch or lost connection with her daughter.

"I... er... I need to talk to all of you." Beca fidgeted.

"Of course, but know I love you no matter what." Ms. Mitchell grinned, as they started to walk. She could tell Beca was nervous; the only time Beca fidgeted was when she was really freaked out. Ms. Mitchell thought the last time Beca fidgeted was when she was eight and broke a lamp. It was during the divorce and Beca had let her mom think it was her dad. Beca confessed soon after the fight, but damn did she fidget the whole time she talked. They reached Dr. Mitchell's house in no time, and Beca knocked hesitantly at the door.

Had Beca not known the layout of the house so well, there's a good chance she would have shown how nervous she was. Then again, she knew her mom knew. Her mom knew everything. Well, everything that didn't pertain to Chloe and the recent situation. The kitchen table was covered with decorations waiting to be hung at Beca's party, which caused Beca to groan, but sitting down, she was glad they were there. She focused on the 'A' in the Happy Birthday banner; it was bright blue. "So um..." Beca started nervously, her mom's hand slipping into her own. "I was wondering, if maybe we could add an extra place setting at my dinner?" Beca's heart was beating a mile a minute and she knew her mom could feel in in her hand.

"That Jesse character?" Dr. Mitchell asked, causing Ms. Mitchell to shoot him a glance. Beca did not understand how that woman knew she wasn't finished.

"Well, no." Beca could feel her cheeks flush and her mom squeeze her hand. "My uh, girlfriend," Beca choked on the last word, "Chloe"

"Oh, you're a lesbian!" Sheila exclaimed, "that's nice." Beca didn't need to look up to know her mom was sending the death stare to the step-monster.

"Not exactly," Beca prepared herself for what would come next, "I'm bisexual."

"Oh sweetie," Beca could hear the false urgency in her mom's voice, "I need to tell you something! I'm straight!" Beca laughed looking up. She pat her leg and Beca got up and like a five year old child sat on her mom's leg.

"Well, Beca," Sheila started, here it goes, Beca thought. Sheila was pretty conservative. "Bisexuality isn't a real thing. It's okay to be gay." Beca could feel her mom's whole body tense and could hear a low growl emulating from her mom's throat. Let's just say Beca was her cub and Momma bear would destroy anyone who hurt her cub.

"Sheila," Dr. Mitchell castigated. "We would love to have Chloe for dinner." Beca sighed with relief when her mom leaned in.

"I'm sure I'll love her Bug. Unless she hurts you, then I never liked her." She whispered, prompting a giggle from Beca.

"Mooooommm!" Ms. Mitchell gave Beca a pointed look as if to say 'I'm serious.' Beca smiled, her family was messed up, but at the end of the day, she wouldn't trade them for anything.