XXIII

It wasn't that Beca was avoiding Chloe per se; it just happened that they had not run into each other in the past eleven hours thirty-six minutes and twenty-two Chloe had been at camp, not that Beca was keeping track. Beca had tried to figure out where she and Chloe stood before the big showcase, but two months evidently wasn't enough time. Beca had tried to be angry at Chloe: the moment the guy Beca was trying to hook up with started to take off his shirt Beca knew she couldn't do it. Beca couldn't sink to that level. Anger failed. Then Beca tried forgiveness. Time and time again, Beca dialed the number, 555-2456, but she never got the courage up to press 'call'. Beca had spent eleven and a half hours "avoiding" (not that she liked the use of that word, but Tyler insisted) Chloe, but now Chloe was unavoidable. Beca was serving the cake, and Chloe was exactly four people back, and soon Chloe would spot Beca, if she hadn't already.

"Beca!" Campbell chirped. Shit. Beca thought. "Beca why didn't you eat with us?" Beca handed Campbell a piece of cake.

"I... er... I had to get prepped for the cake." Beca lied, not wanting to meet Chloe's eyes. Instead her eyes met Chloe's plate; a cupcake, of course. Beca coughed, trying to summon courage. "Don't eat it wrong Chlo." Beca choked out, still not meeting Chloe's gaze, knowing if she had, the tears on the brink of her eyes would fall.

"Don't get frosting all over your face." Chloe smiled nervously, before following her family to a table. God, will this always be hard? Beca thought. She wanted to smile and touch Chloe's hands, and be able to call Chloe her girlfriend and not worry. Beca wished she could just feel one way, because this whole being angry in theory, then getting those butterflies whenever she saw those ice blue eyes. Beca wanted to forgive her she did, but every time she tried, all Beca could picture was Chloe making out with another girl and then, doing other things. Beca shivered. This was way more than Beca had bargained for when she agreed to go to college. Beca hadn't realized how quickly the cake line was moving; before she knew it, it was time for the showcase.

Chloe hadn't actually discussed the ultimatum she gave her mom earlier with her mom, which made the flight and visit to camp that much more awkward. Her mom just kind of danced around Chloe. She wasn't angry, but she wasn't normal. "ALLLLLRRIIIIIGGGHT," The way-too-enthusiastic staffer, "Let's give it up for cabin four and that magic trick!" He was already getting on Chloe's nerves, which was weird because Chloe was usually so tolerant. "Next up we have cabin five, with a silly dance and a great mash-up. Put your hands together for FIIIIIVVVVEEEE!" The guy exited the faux stage as Beca, Campbell and the rest of the cabin entered. Beca hummed.

"One two three four." Beca whispered; just like at the ICCAs. Gosh Beca looked hot in that black Hawkeye t-shirt and those ripped jean shorts. No, no Chloe, you fucked up, you're not allowed to think those thoughts. Chloe reminded herself.

As Beca stared to sing the mash-up she had created, she didn't realize that her eyes stayed steady on Chloe's. No one could wrap their head around how Beca had mashed up a seriously sad breakup song, and a majorly upbeat love song, with the occasional splash of 'Titanium'. Chloe couldn't lie. She was 100% caught up in Beca's eyes and Beca's smile and everything about Beca throughout the mix; she didn't pay a speck of attention to her little sister; she would make it up to Campbell later. The 'silly dance' was not much better. They did the chicken dance. The freaking chicken dance. The freaking least sexy freaking dance ever, but somehow, Beca made it so freaking sexy. GOD BEALE you need to get your head out of the clouds! You're not allowed to think those things anymore. Chloe castigated herself, but that didn't stop her brain from drifting to Beca's perfect figure.