Chapter 2

"Congratulations, you two!" Strong big palms squished both Sam's and Luke's shoulders from the back. "Thank you, Mr. Russo-" She couldn't finish her words when those big hands, which belonged to a big, fat happy man, pulled her face gently closer to him so that he could give her a big kiss on each cheek.  

"And don't call me Mr. Russo. You are part of the great Russo family now. You can call me Pops," he said with his heavy Italian accent. 

"Ah yes. I am sorry Mr.-Pops."  

Sam was struggling to maintain her balance when Pops kept hugging her like a big bear with a new toy.  

"Let go of my wife, Pops, are you going to choke her to death before our first night? That's not nice." Luke came to the rescue, pulling Sam out from the big bear hug. "Oh, I am sorry, Luke, I was just excited that you two finally got married. I told you hundreds of times, you two love each other, get married and give me some great-grandkids already!" Pops said loudly, followed by a big rich laugh. He gave Luke a hug and left while he kept laughing. 

"Your Pops is the happiest man at this party, and he's absolutely strong for a seventy-year-old," Sam whispered and tried to fix her hairpiece. 

"Here, let me help you. But I don't think he's the happiest one you know, it should be me." Luke pulled out a loose hairpin and reattached it gently into Sam's hair. 

"Oh really?" Sam asked sarcastically. "By inviting those beautiful single ladies standing over there in that corner whispering to each other while looking at us jealously, that you are no longer available for night outing and casual sex?" 

"Hey, hey, don't be jealous, those are my dad's business partners and their daughters. They must be invited. I am yours now, I won't go out with those girls anymore. Besides, I never had casual sex with any of them. Come on, Sam. You know me," Luke pleaded. 

Sam suddenly felt embarrassed, she had just unexpectedly became possessive of her husband. She bent her head down, the ground. surprisingly looked very interesting to her. 

"I was just teasing you. I don't care if you still go out with them." She was about to smile when she saw him looking so hurt. Was she imagining it? Luke is a lady killer. Wherever he went, there were always women staring at him in awe and trying to talk to him. The worst part was, he seemed to enjoy it. His wavy black hair and classic Italian look was charming enough; added with a tall athletic body, he's every woman's dream man. Sam used to feel self-conscious every time she walked next to him in public; she felt like an ugly duckling. She's a very simple woman with long blonde hair that's always in a ponytail. She was always dressed so modestly even though she's a fashion designer who made ordinary girls look beautiful in their outfits. She hated being the center of attention and always tried to disappear in the background. She never understood why Luke found her fascinating.  

They first met three years ago at a charity fashion show where Sam had volunteered to design a few gowns for auction, and the Russo company was the main sponsor. Luke was there, helping his dad greet the guests. They didn't meet each other until later that evening when everyone started to leave the venue. Sam had an argument with a man in the parking lot. Luke could see him hold Sam's upper arm, trying to intimidate her by talking loudly. Luke rushed his step toward them and interfered. 

"Hey! What's going on?" he asked. He stepped closer and yanked the man's hand away from her. 

"None of your business, mate." He eyed Luke suspiciously. "Is this your new boyfriend?" he suddenly asked Sam angrily. 

Sam didn't answer; instead, she tried to hide behind Luke. 

Luke looked at her, amused, and she stared back at him with pleading eyes.