Chapter 13

"Come on, Sam, we're going to be late." Sam could hear Luke calling from downstairs. "I am coming," she answered loud enough for him to hear. She took a last look of her reflection in the mirror. She looked decent. Apparently, Anna's makeup and hair tips worked. She tidied up her gown softly and sighed. "Okay, I am going to be okay," she whispered then walked out their bedroom.  

She slowly walked down the stairs. 

Luke heard footsteps on the stairs; he got up from his chair and grabbed his car key from the table. He had waited for an extra twenty minutes for Sam to finally walk out from the bedroom, ready for the fashion show cocktail party this evening. "Are you ready now-" He didn't continue his sentence when he saw her standing at the end of the stairs, looking nothing but beautiful. 

Her hair was up in a French twist with few curled strands out, framing her beautiful long neck and bare shoulders. Her makeup was soft and natural. Her cheekbones were defined with a touch of slightly pinkish blush, and her red lipstick had brightened up her fair skin tone. She wore her own design-a yellow silk cocktail dress that hung gorgeously on her perfectly toned body. She looked about seven centimeters taller than usual with her high heels; she now could look into Luke's eyes without looking up too much. 

"Yes, sorry to keep you waiting," she replied sheepishly. Her fingers clutched nervously on her purse. 

"You look stunning," Luke whispered and swallowed hard. 

"Thank you. So do you," she replied softly, admiring Luke in his tux. He was standing tall, and the tux made his chest look bigger and broader. He combed his hair back and left his thin beard unshaven. He looked so strikingly handsome and masculine that it made Sam's knees weak for a split second. She suddenly had difficulty standing straight, and she had to move her left leg backward slightly to balance herself.  

"Ready?" he asked and gave her his arm. 

"Yes," she smiled sweetly, sliding her hand into his arm and they walked out to their car. 

The fashion show went well and Sam was now in the middle of the party. Sam had to talk to the guests together with Aimeé, promoting their designs as well as trying to get them to donate more for their charity. 

Luke was busy talking to other guests too. He didn't realize that Sam made an agreement with one of the guests. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, your attention please. It's time for me to introduce our next very talented star. She's not only talented in designing our wonderful gowns tonight, she also has a beautiful voice. She promised our generous Mr. Lombardi to sing him his favorite song if he donates $100,000. And here she is now, the one and only, the gorgeous Mrs. Russo."  

Luke froze. He couldn't believe what he just heard. He quickly walked closer to the stage. The light in the room dimmed and the spotlight started to brighten the stage. Sam walked in, swaying her hips confidently, her face calm and her lips smiling. Slowly, she approached the microphone and the band started to play. 

"This is for you Mr. Lombardi, thank you for your generous donation. This is 'I Could Fall in Love' by Selena," Sam said before she started singing. 

Sam's voice was soft but strong at the same time. She could see Luke staring at her in awe. His eyes were full of admiration toward her. Sam stared back and held his eyes in hers while she kept singing the song.

The room exploded in applause and cheers. Mr. Lombardi walked up the stage and gave her a hug. He kissed Sam on both cheeks and took her hand to the dance floor. The band started playing again with another singer singing the next slow song. Both of them danced hand in hand till the song finished and Mr. Lombardi was reluctant to let her go when she excused herself to go to the ladies room.