Chapter 14

Sam opened her eyes and winced. Her body ached and her head hurt. She knew where her head was. She stared at Luke's bare chest beneath her cheek and grumbled under her breath, "Not again!" But this time, she froze as soon as she realized that she wasn't wearing anything. She slid her hand under the blanket and touched her body. Nothing! She tried to get up, but she couldn't. She felt Luke's arm around her back; she was pinned tightly against his chest. Her eyes widened, and she pushed up as hard as she could to escape his grip. Luke opened his eyes, shocked with the sudden movement. Both of them stared at each other in horror. Sam quickly yanked the blanket to cover her chest. 

"What happened?" She panicked, her mind running a thousand miles per hour, trying to find the answer. But she couldn't remember anything. 

"I am sorry." Luke sat up and replied weakly. 

Sam's eyes widened as soon as she realized his guilty expression. She stared at him in disbelief. "Did we?" 

"Yes," he said and looked down, ashamed. 

Sam gasped. "How could you?" She started to sob. 

Luke tried to gather her into his arms, but Sam pulled away. "I trusted you." She sobbed harder, her messy hair falling down her face, covering her teary eyes. She clutched tightly at her blanket. 

"Sam . . . I . . . I am sorry," Luke tried to explain, but nothing came out from his mouth. 

Sam lifted her head and looked at him with hurt in her eyes, and Luke's heart shattered into a million pieces. 

He meant to protect her and make her feel safe, but he failed, and most of all, he took advantage of her when she was vulnerable, and he couldn't forgive himself. 

He tried to move closer, but Sam lifted her palm and stopped him abruptly. 

"Sam please," he begged. "I love you," he whispered. 

Sam looked at him with amusement and anger in her eyes. "What? Don't you dare! I don't believe you said those words that easy!" 

"But-" 

"Please don't make this worse," snapped Sam, trembling. 

They stayed quiet for a few minutes. The room was filled with her sobs. 

"I knew this was going to happen. It's my fault." She sighed. 

"No." Luke stopped her. "It is my fault. I should have been protecting you, not taking advantage of you. Please don't blame yourself." He raised his hand and tried to touch her shoulder, but he stopped himself and brought his hand back onto his lap. 

"I need to be alone," Sam spoke softly. 

Luke scrambled on his feet, grabbed his robe, and left the room.

***

Sam approached Luke in the living room that afternoon. "I will work from Melbourne for the next couple of weeks." 

"Do you have to? Can't we talk about this?" Luke stood up and held her wrist. His face looked tired and worried.  

"I'll be fine," Sam replied softly and gently pulled her arm from his grip. "I just need to calm myself down. I'll see you in two weeks." She smiled faintly and walked away. She felt Luke's gaze following her, but she ignored it. She was worried that he would try to stop her again and she knew that she wouldn't be able to resist. 

She sat quietly inside the taxi, which was slowly exiting the Russo residence and was heading to the airport. Last night's memories began to resurface. She froze and blinked rapidly. Images started to emerge into her brain. His touches, kisses, and his soft gaze. She took a sharp breath when she remembered clearly how he moved his body gently when he was inside her, carefully not to hurt her and murmuring how much he loved her.