Chapter 12

"I like your style, you look just like Bruce Willis in Die Hard. If only you have a gun or something. I'll make sure to send a camera crew to follow you next time." Luke took a seat in front of her on the dining table, grinning from ear to ear.  

"Will you still be impressed if you had to bail me from the police station for my dangerous driving?" 

"Of course! Especially when you stood up for me." He gazed at her with an unreadable expression. 

"I was just trying to tell her off," she mumbled and looked down at her almost empty plate "Gossip just spreads faster than a bullet," she mumbled. 

"But I admired her honesty. She told me everything and apologized as well." 

"She's kindhearted but just a little nuts sometimes."  

"What do you mean by if someone tried to take me from you?" Luke suddenly threw an unexpected question. 

"What?" Sam froze. 

"Gina specifically told me that you seemed upset." 

"I didn't say those things." She stood up and cleaned her table. 

"Sam!" Luke held her wrist and pulled her to sit down. "What is it? Something has been upsetting you. You sleep restlessly lately." 

"I am okay, you're imagining things, Luke." She pushed a smile. 

"Sam, I know you're lying." He leaned back and folded his arms waiting for her confession. 

"I am fine, Luke, trust me." 

"You know I will bug you till you tell me what's going on," he warned her. Sam just rolled her eyes.

***

"What happened to Alicia?" Luke sat on the edge of their bed that night and tried to sew a loose button back to his shirt. 

"Gina sacked her." Sam left her magazine and looked at him before extending her arms. "Give me that shirt." 

"Gina sacked her? Why?" He looked shocked. 

"Well, she broke company rules." 

"Which are?" 

"She behaved inappropriately with you and she brought weed to work." 

"What do you mean she behaved inappropriately with me? I thought that stupid rule was removed." 

"Gina saw both of you kissing, and since you're the heir of Tony Russo and I am your wife, she had no choice. She had to sack her to save our marriage. Besides, the weed part is enough to get rid of her anyway."  

Sam continued sewing and tried to act cool, but she saw in a split second that his blood drained from his face; he looked as pale as his white shirt. "I saw you too. If you want to do it, at least find a place that is hidden. I don't want people to laugh at me behind my back and think that I am being cheated." 

"It's not like what you think," he stuttered. 

"What I think is not important, Luke. You don't have to explain anything to me," she said coldly. 

"Of course I have to explain it to you." 

"I don't want to hear it," she refused stubbornly. 

"Sam, please . . ." 

"Luke, you kissing Alicia has nothing to do with me. I am happy for you. You are back with your first love. It's only natural." She looked at him sharply. 

"I was caught off guard." 

"Luke, I told you, I don't really care. Here's your shirt." She threw his shirt to his lap and placed the needle carefully in the sewing box before putting it on her bedside.