Chapter 7 - Detective Cilan (Cilan)

I stared at my computer for a solid five minutes. The online chess browser I was on had no time limit but on the left hand side the person was typing away impatiently. After scanning the board I moved the queen and checkmate flashed on the screen. I won and turned off my computer. Gary's question hovered around in my head.

"Any good looking girls anyone?"

Huh, Gary was quite the character. He had a brain the size of a peanut yet he was street smart. He was very popular in junior high and it created his ego, a thing bigger than his brain atleast. I took my pencil and tapped it on my chin in thought. Me and Drew gave the same answer, yet Ash never said a thing. I thought back to the moment, Ash spent his time scanning the gym and didn't answer, but he stared at one particular girl. There is a possibility he has a crush on someone. I could question him, but it does seem a bit strange that I would be so interested. My phone vibrated at that moment and a text flashed across the screen.

"Here is Ash's number, he gave it to me today'

So Ash and Serena had some alone time, possibly? The thought created silent tension in my head, so I forgot about it. I pulled up the group chat on my phone, noticing Ash had just been added. I began typing.

'Is anyone else stuck on the last math question?'

'Yeah it is a tough one for the 9th grade, that's for sure' Ash replied almost instantly. He must be working on his maths right now.

'Just think about BIDMAS and you should get the answer' Iris replied this time, and I thought about our last math lesson. The answer came in my head instantly after seeing the message. So I wrote it down and slammed the book shut.

'In math we are learning how to convert currency' I read Misty's message, remembering that she was in Gary's math. Not the brightest bunch of people.

Ash's reply popped up on the screen 'We learnt about that on the first day, right?'

Ash knew me and Iris where in the conversation, but under the message it said Serena and Dawn saw it before us. I decided to wait for a moment, they could answer this one.

'Thats right, first class on the first day' Iris replied and I put my phone on the desk, placing a clenched fist under my chin in thought. Little busy today Serena and Dawn, hmm? I watch too many detective shows but Death Note gave me the inspiration to be so inquisitive. A thrilling series that over looked criminology and went to newer heights. I put my phone on silent and turned it off. Another round of chess would go down well, so I turned my computer back on.

(Serena)

Dawn instantly replied to my message, so I could tell she was paying full attention.

'He kicked you out?! Why?'

I sighed at the message. Of course I was over exaggerating, but it felt like he did.

'IDK, he must be busy I guess, we have had lots of homework recently'

Also, I have to go to his house sometime this week to finish our project. Its inevitable that we will be alone again. I'll ask him then.

'Oh, okay. Well I am going to sleep. See you in the morning chick x'

I smiled and replied with a simple 'Okay, bye' I wasn't in the mood and Ash was on my mind still. I will find out if he likes me or not. One way or another.

(Cilan)

Another easy chess win, huh? These guys need to step up there game if they want to enter the tournaments. I sighed with boredom at the lack of competition, before turning the computer off once more and settling into bed. In one week we will be off school for halloween. Last year we had a fancy dress party and things got a bit out of hand.

(Flashback - Third Person)

It was 11pm, 3 hours into the party. Someone got their brother to get alcohol, and Calem was a little drunk. He stumbled this way and that in his hulk costume, wearing green facepaint that was wearing away with sweat. He saw Serena alone outside and entered the garden.

"Hey *hic* Se-Serena, great party, huh?" Calem stupidly fell into Serena's arms, who looked worried towards Calems behaviour.

"Let's get you home Calem, before you do something stupid" Serena took Calem home and left the party herself. Once they reached his house, Calem threw himself at Serena. Before he could kiss he she pulled him off and slapped him right across the face. A big red handprint lay across the drunken Calem's face.

"Don't try and do that again Calem" Serena understood he was drunk but he was acting weird. While he was stumbling inside, he shouted out.

"I LOVE YOU SERENA" Calem looked like a complete idiot, and Serena had an expression of shock and worry. He would forget this night tomorrow but Serena wouldn't.

(Cilan)

I guess Serena only told us the story once, but it is still clear to me. Hopefully we have no alcohol or trouble this year. Only time will tell. I took the mini basketball on my bedside table, and while led down, threw the ball at the hoop on my door. The ball came down in an arc and hit the backboard, before falling to the floor. Practice is what I need, but sleep comes first. Sleep and more sleep. I buried my head in my pillows and drowned out my thoughts.

------------------------------
Quite a short chapter, right?
Anyway, if you have got this far, thanks for reading :D
I suck at writing, am I right? Yeah I thought so.
Thanks for any support, reading is good enough so just keep on reading (if you can)
Mark©
--------------------------------