Chapter 20 - Tough choices (Third Person)

Ash was relieved to know that Serena left Calems house after five more minutes on that night, before going to Dawns. A month had passed since then and it was now coming close to easter.

Dellia was doing her work in the bakery as usual when she got a call from the manager.

"Hello Dellia, I was calling to see if you're interested in relocating. There is another bakery in the next state we own in the middle of the city, so the pay will increase by 20%"

She was stunnes by the offer, it was all so sudden. "I will need time to come up with some sort of answer, I will call back tonight" She knew extra money would be great but Ash was doing great living in Vaniville. It was impractical to move as he would lose his friends and Serena. Dellia sighed deeply. She would need to talk to Ash.

She got home that night and during dinner, asked the question.

"Ash, if I told you I have been offered a job with 25% extra pay, what would you say?" Ash looked up from his plate.

"I would say go for it mom" He smiled and continued "So, where is this job?"

Dellia sighed "100 miles into the next state" Ash dropped his fork as she said this and stared into space for a moment.

"Whatever you choose mom, I will not move from this town. Even I have to go onto the streets"

Dellia knew straight away his mind was made up, so she couldn't help but listen to him.

"Ok, looks like we have decided then" She looked unhappy that she would not be supporting them both better, but it made Ash happier. It was a tough choice.

Four houses down, Serena was arguing with her mom.

"There is no way I am spending a month of my summer in England living in a strangers house" Serena had been chosen for the cultural student exchange, where a country each year sends two students over to Vaniville for a month, and they send two over to the UK. They see what is different between the two and learn from it. It was mandatory unless you became injured or ill before hand.

"Listen, Serena you are going whether you like it or not, that's how it is" Grace, Serena's mom, put her foot down. She wasn't having any nonsense and meant every word.

"Why do you not care?" Serena screamed, before running upstairs and into her room.

On the other side of Vaniville, Gary was speaking with the local soccer coach.

We want you to join our team, Gary. You're skills excite us and we would welcome you to our academy with open arms. You will miss a few days a week during summer to train and play, but thats soccer"

Gary gulped. He had always wanted to try and go pro, but he never expected to get a place in the local academy. His dad wanted him to join the army though, so it was a choice that needed to be brought up with his dad, who was on duty and away for the week.

He called him up and his dad answered.

"Listen, Dad" Gary said nervously "I have the Vaniville Soccer coach with me and he has just offered me a place in the academy!" His dad didn't reply for a moment, taking a lot of time to think.

"Go for it Gary" He said, much to Gary's surprise "It has always been your dream, so fulfil it" Gary almost broke into tears.

"Wow, thanks dad. Stay safe" Gary hung up and nodded at the coach "I accept your offer" They shook hands and finalised the deal. Gary thought that was easier than he original thought, his dad made soccer tough on him as a child.

Serena was on the phone to Ash, telling him about the four week cultural exchange.

"I will in some strangers house for 4 weeks and making friends in the UK, it's an exciting opportunity, but I'll miss you and others" She sighed into the phone.

"Well uh- my mom was contemplating on moving to a new state, 100 miles north" Ash said and Serena gasped.

"So are you?" She was instantly curious and crossed her fingers

"Of course not, she knew I was happy here and didn't want to change that for a little extra money" Ash could here Serena saying 'phew' off the phone and he laughed.

"Well, Serena, we will have to make the other two weeks of summer count, wont we?"

Serena knew he was right, there was no way out of it so she had to do her best "Definetly, and the week before I go"

"Right. I have to go now, but don't forget Serena" Ash replied and Serena felt suspicious.

"What, Ash?" She sounded scared for some reason.

"I love you" Ash hung up before Serena could reply, so she messaged him it back and went to sleep.

-
I wrote this chapter as a sort of filler. It is building on the next book, but don't worry this isn't over yet.
Thanks for reading!
Mark©
-