Chapter 25 - Gary's Ego (Ash)

The second day started off like the first as we stepped outside. A group of girls, atleast 15 walked by.

"Take your pick then, Gary" Drew said. After all, he accepted Cilans challenge. He suddenly ran after the girls. We walked slowly in the opposite direction and it wasn't too long before he was back.

"Any luck?" I asked.

"None, they wasn't interested" Gary sighed.

"What's your technique?" We stopped and turned to Gary.

"I just show off my looks and ask them out"

Gary had too much confidence.

"I guess you have alread failed" Cilan laughed. It was a weird way of trying to pick up girls. He was one weird person.

We walked along the footpath for about 5 minutes, before stumbling upon an arcade.

"We should check this place out, looks like fun! After all we have all day to do what we want!" Garu said. Before we could answer, he rushed inside.

He instantly had a guitar slung over his shoulder and began playing guitar hero. I went over to a pacman machine. It was a classic game and something that I haven't seen for years. I put in some money and began to play. Our time in the arcade was cut short when A girl walked in.

Gary's head nearlly fell of his shoulders as he turned to look. He walked over to her and began talking. I shrugged and carried on playing until I heard another voice.

"Is this kid hassling you babe?" A guys voice said. I turned to see a guy who was taller than Cilan and built like a brick stare down Gary. Uh-oh.

"I aint hassling anybody, just asking good looking if she wants to go out with me. She was about to say yes" Gary smiled with determination. I stepped infront of the two and nervously laughed.

"Sorry, my friend is a bit of an idiot"

"No, you're all idiots, now get out of my dads arcade" He shouted.

We had no choice but to leave.

"Good going Gary" I moaned.

"What?! She was going to say yes, obviously" He said, trying to defend himself.

"Of course she was, she didn't have a boyfriend or anything" Kenny said sarcastically. Gary was too stupid to realize.

"She didn't have a boyfriend. She was alone" I wanted to just drop to the floor and wake up home, because Gary was killing me.

"Right new challenge Gary. By the end of the summer, if you still have an ego bigger than Earth itself, we will teach you how to talk to women" I said. I was getting fed up of his challenge.

"No way, I am getting a girl tonight!" He continued on and we followed. I sighed deeply. This week was going to last forever.

"How many places do you reckon he will get us banned from?" Kenny asked.

I grinned at his joke "Everywhere, even the police station"

We all laughed as we headed down the road. But I meant that literally. He could probably break out of jail by talking. They would ask him to never commit crimes again.

We decided to turn and head back to the hotel. We was getting bored but Kenny remembered they had on site sports, so we decided to go play basketball.

When we got there, a group of 15 year olds wearing there school team uniform had taken the court already.

"These kids look bad" Gary said, almost out loud. One of them heard and walked over as we sat down.

"Excuse me, KID" He said in Gary's face "You got something to share wid' us?" He asked as his team walked over.

"I think you're bad. I mean I play basketball like a pro" Gary replied. Looks like the lessons should start early, we needed to save Gary for the sake of himself.

"Why don't you and your idiot friends prove it?" He had his arms out like it was a challenge.

Don't say it Gary Do-"Challenge accepted!" I slapped my hands onto my knee's. He said it.

"Great now we have to play a real team" Drew said "It's okay though, just call it practice for September.

We walked onto the court and prepared for our match. It was a 5v5 on a big court. They began with the ball and tried to show off. They clearly underestimated us, because Kenny stepped forward and intercepted a pass like it was nothing.

Then, we countered. He threw the ball to me with a bounce throw. I feinted right and span left, before alley ooping the ball into the air. It span towards the basket. The purpose of this pass was for someone tall to come in and Cilan jumped up, before placing the ball into the net.

After half an hour, it was 30-31 to us and they decided to call it a game.

"Your friend talks a lot of game but you guys are good. Have you ever considered joining the team? I aint ever seen any of you before" We shook our heads and explained that we was on holiday.

"Well next year try out for your team. We might meet at the national championships sometime, the names Dwayne so don't forget it" He said.

I shook his hand "Right. Well my names Ash, just try not to forget it yourself.

I smirked and we left the court.

"Gary you need to stop running your mouth, they could have had us in that game if it wasn't for there easy to see weak spots" Drew said, worried.

"Right, sorry. I guess I just can't help it" Gary looked apologetic as we headed back to our rooms. Maybe tomorrow he will have changed.