Chapter 18 - A Shopping Problem (Ash)

"Hey Drew. Ready to go?" Drew nodded as he said goodbye to his parents, then we set off for the sports centre. On the way there, we got Cilan. The centre was near the school so Gary was to meet us there.

"I just need to go to the shop a moment" Cilan said. I presumed he was getting a drink so we entered with him.

After about five minutes of standing in the drinks corner, we heard a voice that sent chills down our spine.

"Open the register and give me all of the money" A man said. It sounded there was two people and Cilan ushered us down into a crouching position. He quietly looked under the shelves and saw four shoes. He signalled that there was two people.

"Leave now, before I call the police!" We heard the shop owner say. We heard the sound of something cocking back. A gun maybe? Drew looked like he was about to run, but Cilan put his hand out. We wasn't moving until it was done. Cilan turned and slowly moved back towards the end of the isle. We followed and heard footsteps going towards our last position. We got around the corner just before he came to the isle. What was Cilan doing? I looked forward as he pointed. The back door!

We crept to the door and slowly opened it. The door creaked as it closed and we heard the second voice.

"Who's there?" It said. We heard footsteps come closer so we bolted outside.

"Act natural" Cilan said, so we walked around the corner and stopped there. We could see the car they came in. Cilan made a note of the licence plate and looked around.

"Shouldn't we call the cops?" I asked, it seemed like a better idea.

Cilan shook his head "they will be long gone by the time they get here, once they leave we will give the manager the licence plate and the cops can do the rest" Cilan pushed us round the corner again as the robbers jumped into their car and sped off down the road. We walked into the shop afterwards and the shopkeeper got to his feet.

"Are you kids alright?" He asked, he saw us come into shop so he was worried

Cilan nodded and handed him the paper "We got a look at there car and here is the licence plate" He thanked Cilan and gave him his drink for free as a gift. We left and walked down the road, as the police car sped past us. Cilan was right about them.

We got to the sports centre and I couldn't stop thinking about the robbery. What if we got caught? Would they have killed us? A shiver shot through my spine in fear.

"What took you guys so long?" Gary said. He had already broken a sweat, so he was working hard.

"We was held up by a hold up" Drew said, getting out his basketball.

Gary's eyes widened with interest "Woah, you witness a robbery?" I nodded and he lost a breath.

"Wow, must've been scary. Well I am glad everyone is alright" Gary shrugged impatiently "lets get started then"

We spent a few hours doing various activities like basketball, soccer, runnig and lifting some weights.

After some time, three familiar faces walked in. It was Jack. He looked at the four of us and I stared right back.

"What you looking at?" He asked, acting tough.

"I could ask you the same question" I said back, grinning. I could see he wanted to lunge at me but he was in enough trouble, so he angrily walked away.

"Still got something against you, huh?" Gary asked, as he drank his milkshake.

"Oh well, he leaves school this year so I can handle it" I pointed out. Cilan had told me that the two week suspension left him behind on his study, so with their finals coming up he had to work extra hard. It was good to have no trouble.

"Well, I said I would be home at 8, so I better get going" I said, standing up.

"We might aswell come with you, right Drew?" Cilan asked, packing his things away and getting up.

"Yeah, lets go" Drew nodded and we sais bye to Gary.

"I still have some money, so how about a trip to a different shop?" Cilan showed us his $5.

"Only if there is something for me!" Drew said and I laughed. Of course Drew would say that. We entered the store to see a guy holding a gun at the shop keeper. He turned to us and his partner shut the door.

"Hands in the air kids, you aint going nowhere till we get our money" He smirked beneath his mask

What were the chances of this happening? I might win the lottery next.

It wasn't long before the whole thing became a hostage situation. Police surrounded the building and news teams tried to get the best coverage they could.

(Serena)

I flicked through the TV channels and saw the news was reporting something down the road. A hostage situation, with three boys and a shop keeper? I led on the end of my bed and rested my hands under my chin, swinging my legs back and forth in the air.

The news reporter began to speak and a camera zoomed in on the shop.

'At this time, it seems the robbers have no intentions of letting anyone go and have threatened the police. But, it looks like the police are going in through the back, only time will tell what happens next'

Off camera I heard a gunshot and the crowd screamed. After five minutes of silence, the robbers came out with handcuffs on and then the hostages.

'It seems the boys have been released and are all safe, we are moving in to ask a few questions'

The camera regained focus for a second. Was that Ash? I instantly got my shoes on and ran as fast as I could down the street. I hope you're ok, Ash.

I arrived at the scene as Ash had just been questioned. I ran up to him and jumped into his arms and tightly hugged him.

"Thank god you're alright" I said, looking worriedly into his eyes. He smiled and looked a little shocked at my sudden appearance into the scene.

"I am fine. I think my mum needs to buy a lottery ticket, though" Ash joked. Why would he joke after that kind of experience?

"Why's that?" I asked moving closer to him as we moved up the street back home.

"That was the second time we witnessed a robbery, although we became part of the second one" I didn't see the funny side of it, so I just frowned. It wasn't long before we got to our street.

"Stay safe now Ash, love you" I waved as I went towards my front door.

"You too, Serena" he smiled and entered his house. I stepped inside and went back to my room.

That night a message popped up on my phone screen.

'I love you' it said, from Ash. I smiled and went to sleep after reading the message. Our relationship was the best thing that could happen in life.

Nothing could ever break us apart anymore.