Chapter Five

||HERMIONE|||

THINGS have been strange lately, which is a funny thing to even say because Hogwarts is basically the land of the weird, home of the freaky. But I'm talking more specifically about Ronald. He's been...different lately. Most of the time he's been pretty sappy. Always hugging me, touching me when he gets the chance. Whether it's playfully punching my shoulder or absentmindedly tucking a stray of hair behind my ear.

Not that I'm complaining. I like the attention he's giving me. It just makes it ten times harder to conceal my feelings for him. And it didn't help that we almost kissed last month. Or that he initiated it. Then he had to go and apologize for it. Then I said I wouldn't have pushed him away if he did. That was really stupid of me.

Sighing to myself, I continue my walk to the common room. Maybe I should sort things out with Ginny, she might be able to make sense of all this. I turn a corner before marching up the porthole, entering the common room in no time. The sound of sniffles and mild sobs catch my attention. Looking over to my right, I see Ginny sitting in a corner.

"Ginny?"

Her head turns upward at the sound of her name. Tears fill her eyes as they stream down her cheeks. I quickly rush to her side.

"What happen?"

She offers me a weak smile. "It's nothing, really. Just something stupid."

I scoff, not buying it at all. "Clearly it's something."

"Dean and I had a fight." Ginny relents, sighing.

I force myself not to roll my eyes. Seems like that's all they did this past month. I hate it. Every time they have a fight it always end with Ginny in tears.

"What was it about this time?"

Ginny wipes away a few tears before speaking. "Today during quidditch practice, for some reason I kept messing up on this one technique and quite an important one. Harry being the captain and all I demanded we stay after practice to do some practice runs until I got the hang of it. We stayed there for over two hours until I finally could do it properly. After we finished I remembered that I was supposed to meet Dean for a picnic an hour ago."

I wrap an arm around her as she continues.

"As if I didn't feel bad enough, when I got there he just exploded. I told him that I got caught up in practice and lost track of the time. But he was just mad at the fact that I was spending time with Harry instead of him, and said that I am always hanging out with Harry. What does he expect? He's been my friend for six years. Anyway, he told me that sometimes he doesn't even think our relationship is worth it and that eventually I'm going to have to choose him or Harry."

She cries even harder.

"That prick. If he's making you choose between your best friend and your boyfriend then he can go drown in the Black Lake."

Ginny gasps. "Hermione!"

"I'm being not serious," I assure her. Well, mostly anyway. "I'm just tired of seeing you cry because of him. Is this relationship worth all the fuss?"

Ginny looks away for a moment, sniffing. "How are things with Ron?" She deliberately ignores me.

I purse my lips but let it slide. "We're fine, I guess. Don't really going on with his head these days."