Chapter Ten

THE first semester was officially over and everyone was huddled up at the train station, waiting eagerly to board the train and head home for the holidays. Within the month of December the air had become cold and frosted. The day of the departure the students woke up to a warm blanket of snow that covered the entire castle in a shimmery white sheet.

Hermione, who was dressed in thick winter attire, was waiting for the Hogwarts Express to arrive at King's Cross Station. She perched herself on a nearby bench, holding a shivering Crookshanks in her arms with her trunk propped up beside her. Harry, Ginny and Ron had said they would meet in about fifteen minutes.

Hermione sighed to herself.

Ronald.

It's funny how a girl can change her feelings toward a boy. First you love them. Then you hate them. Then you love them all over again. It's a stressful matter, really, but highly recommended. Hermione couldn't believe that she was going to spend her Christmas at the Weasley's. Well, actually she could. That was her original plan to begin with since her parents were out vacationing across the world. She only refused to go because Ron had a girlfriend. Now things seemed different. Although Ron still is in a relationship with Lavender, they almost seemed to have grown closer. Especially after that day in the hospital wing. Ron let slip that the fight he had with Lavender had to do with her. She couldn't imagine why it would be about her.

Hermione glanced down at her watch. Fifteen minutes has gone by. Where could they be? Hermione thought. As if on cue, Hermione sees a flash of red and black hair. Smiling, Hermione sets a purring Crookshanks down beside her before walking over to her friends. Much like the beginning of the year, and every year, Ronald was late. Harry was the first to hug her.

"Ron is running late again," Harry said, once he released her from her hug.

"My brother is useless, I swear," Ginny adds, giving Hermione a hug.

The three of them went back to the bench Crookshanks was sleeping on. Placing the fat cat on her lap once again, they all sat down. It wasn't long before the saw a flash of the familiar red, shaggy hair. Hermione's stomach sunk when she saw a bright flash of honey blonde hair. Lavender was here.

Ron was holding her hand, but by the look on his face you would have sworn he was chained to her by force. Once the couple was about ten feet from the trio on the bench, they both stopped. Lavender grabbed onto Ron's black coat.

"I'll write to you, won-won!" Lavender cried into his chest.

Give me a break! Hermione thought.

"Yeah, well, I'll be pretty busy with Christmas preparation so I'm not sure if I'll be able to write back," Ron removes Lavender's griping hands.

Then, without warning, Lavender flings her arms around Ron and crashes her lips on his. She was so forceful that Ron staggered back a few inches. Once Lavender removed her sticky lips, Ron practically ran to his friends.

"Enjoy the kiss, won-won?" Harry snickered, smirking. Ron uses the back of his hand to wipe it a crossed his lips as if he can wipe away Lavender's sticky kiss.

"We should get going," Hermione says, trying to ignore the sting in her chest. Teeth chattering, Hermione picks up her cat and trunk. Even with her long sleeve shirt and thick grey coat, Hermione can't seem to get warm.

Ron notices this.

"Here, take my coat," Ron says to Harry, handing him his coat. Ron then takes off his Gryffindor jumper and hands it to a shivering Hermione.

"W-What a-about y-you?" Hermione stammers through chattering teeth.

Ron chuckles. "You need it more than I do." Without hesitation Hermione quickly slips off her coat, puts on the jumper before putting her coat back on. It smells like mint toothpaste and parchment paper. It smells like Ron. This was going to be a pleasant train ride.