Chapter Twenty-Nine

||RON||

"Would you like some more?" Fleur asks delicately, as she picked up my bowl. I shake my head in response, though it was already my fourth bowl. Fleur may be annoying and a bit obnoxious, but the woman can make a fantastic quail soup.

I don't like to admit but it has been two weeks since I left. Since I left them. Since I left Hermione. Every time I allowed myself to think about it, I wanted to kill myself. I can't believe I would just walk away from the love of my life, leaving her behind. I might as well have offered her to Voldemort. It took me four days to realize what I was doing, that the blasted locket was controlling my mind. And taking it off was a lot harder that it seemed. That dark magic put of a bloody hell of a fight and by the time I finally found the will to yank it off, a week has already passed. Despite my best efforts of getting back, I didn't know where the bloody hell I was going. It didn't take long for everything to look to same to me. The trees, the ground, the atmosphere; it all looked alike.

I was lost and scared to death, which isn't the smartest combination to be in when the forest you're roaming around in is crawling with Death Eaters and snatchers. I'm just glad I was able to get to Bill and Fleur's house before anything terrible happened to me. Truth be told, I am not quite sure how I ended up here. All I remember that the winter weather was taking its toll on me. I was growing weaker and weaker by the minute and I knew I needed to go somewhere, someplace where I could rejuvenate myself. I had enough strength to apparate and for some reason their house came to my mind. Bill found me passed out on the beach near their house.

Fleur had healed up my arm and I had stayed there for another seven days, making it exactly two weeks.

Fleur gives my shoulder a light pat before leaving the room, making her way into the kitchen. Moments later Bill comes walking into the room, taking the seat next to me. Fleur does the same. I sigh, knowing what was coming.

"So..." Bill start, "You want to tell us what happened out there?"

I don't say anything. Instead, I turn my body so that I am facing the opposite of them.

Fleur places a delicate hand on my forearm. "Ron, we just want to 'elp."

I haven't spoken a word about what happened in since I arrive here. Both have asked a few questions here and there, trying their best not to probe too much. They're concerned, I understand that. As far as they knew, the three of us were on this heck of mission to save the world. They were more than surprised to find just me at their doorstep. And since Harry or Hermione didn't show up after two weeks, they were really confused.

I did get all that.

But that didn't change the fact that I didn't want to talk about it. What was I supposed to tell them? That I abandoned by best mate and girlfriend because I was jealous? That I left them to die just because I didn't believe in myself? The shame that I felt, that I feel was enough to keep me quiet. After two weeks, though, I suppose they were getting tired of being in the dark. They wanted answers.

"Ron, tell us what happened out there," My brother whispers, desperate.

I sigh in surrender. "...okay."

● ● ●

"You...left them?!" Fleur fumes. I bow my head in shame. "'Ow could you be so stupid, Ron!"

"Fleur..." Bill says, trying to calm down his wife.

"To leave them all on their own!" She continues.

I clench my jaw, trying to calm myself down.

"Honey..." Bill gives her a warning glance.

"To leave 'Arry and 'Ermione in that forest with Death Eaters on their every trail-"