Horrible Past and Promises in the Present

*Kenta's POV*

We flew to 3 stops on our way to America. We reach New York City, finally! I walk along side with the midget Rain till we reached her home. Man was it huge! It looked bigger than the orphanage!

“Nice place.” I said to myself. I see maids and butlers everywhere. Rich family this girl is in.

“Night sweet heart!” the parents said and walk to their rooms.

The midget said her goodnights to her parents, and then she and I walk up the stairs. As we enter her room, her room looked like it was covered in white snow. It had many stuffed white bears and glassed figures on the white shelves.

Somehow I can’t see her name…I wonder why. I accidentally knock over a piano music box. I dive and catch it in time. I look over to see if the midget was looking. Her dark blue eyes went wide. Yep, I’m screwed.

“Why is a shinigami following me?” She asked and sat down on her round bed with white sheets. “Is it my time?”

I placed back the piano music box where it was. Would it hurt to show myself? The midget still stared at me.

I sighed and take out my Death Note and tapped her head. Her eyes didn’t widen when she saw me. She smiled a little. “Can you see my name?”

I shook my head. “I can’t, I can only see your life span.”

“So, it’s true. I didn’t have a name to begin with.” She sniffled.

“Hey, it’s okay. You probably got a name already from your parents.” I said and sat next to her.

“Yeah, but Near named me.” She said.

“Let me hear it, I won’t laugh.” I said with a small smile.

“It’s not funny.” She pouts. “It’s Ximena or X since I’m in the letter agents.”

“Huh, Matt was right.” I lie down on the bed and Ximena did the same, looking at me. “My name’s Kenta.”

 “I thought you were Rain’s incarnation. When did Near name you and why did you guess a shinigami?” I asked seriously.

She looks up at her plain ceiling. “It started ten years ago. The day I was born, my mother and father were forced to give me away to some scientists. They said they were waiting for a person like me to be born. I was born with white hair and dark blue eyes. My parents didn’t get a chance to name me. Both of them wanted to come with the scientists to see me, but they both got shot down by them. I didn’t get this information until I was seven years old.”

Ximena shivers and hugs herself. “I was tested by different chemicals in my body. They injected me, until I had thought I was dead. A scientist named Dr. Drew was the head of this project. He was furious that all the injections failed. Until one day…”

She closed her eyes shut and clenched the sheets under her. Ximena’s hands shakes while holding the sheets. “Dr. Drew put nuclear in me. All the chemicals in me started reacting. It happened two days after he put the nuclear in me. An hour before it started reacting, a nice scientist, Hannah, was nice to me since I got into that facility. She told me what had happened to my parents, said she couldn’t hold it any longer.”

 Ximena lets go off the sheets and her eyes opened. “Then I blew it. I lost control that I blanked out. The next thing I knew the laboratory that we were in was in flames and I was hugging Hannah. My head touched hers and I noticed my hair change color to Hannah’s. She died also that day.”

“How’d you survive?” I asked.

“I ran out of that room and went into a safety room down the hall of that lab. I stayed there, until Near, Mello, and Matt found me. Near was the same height as me, so I hugged him and started crying. Saying it was my fault and whished that I died.” Ximena said with a smile. “Near told me I could live after answering some questions and problems.”