Chapter 1

"Casey. Hurry up. I'll be late for school." I grumbled and stomped down the stairs where my 8-year old brother, Grant, stood with his arms crossed.

Don't get me wrong, I love my brother to death, and I'm glad that my parents got to have another child.

But sometimes I wish I could give him a high five, in the face, with a brick.

Sigh.

"Well, come on then." I replied to Grant. We hopped in my dark grey bug and headed to school. I dropped him off at the elementary and I went to the high school.

My best friend, Jess, met me at the door.

"Oh my gosh, did you and Brandon for real, for real break up?!" She practically yelled in my ear.

"Yeah. He was kind of crazy for me. You know I don't do crazy, Jess." I replied with a nod. She laughed and we went to our classes.

The day went pretty normally until lunch.

"Hey, airhead! Look over here." A guy yelled.

I glared and looked over my shoulder.

Brandon. Of course it is.

Let's get one thing straight. Sure, I may be popular, but one thing is for sure. I am no airhead.

"Oh," I feigned shock,"You shouldn't talk about yourself like that, Brandon.it really isn't healthy."

"Well, Casey, I'll give you one more chance to get back with me. Or else." He challenged me.

"Or else, what?" I challenged back.

"Let's not find out." He replied mysteriously. I looked at him for a second.

"No." I walked out of the cafeteria with my friends behind me.

"Good job Casey," said my friend Heather. She is the head cheerleader but that means nothing if she isn't with me. Yeah, yeah. I sound conceited, but it's true.

A couple of the guys and the other girls agreed and congratulated me. My lips turned up into a smirk and I strutted down the hall with confidence.

The rest of the day was boring, as usual.

I waved goodbye to my friends and told them that I would see them tomorrow.

I swung by Grant's school and picked him up. He talked nonstop about his day and I smiled slightly.

He was a huge people person. I am a proud big sister. Don't tell him that.

I got back to the house and checked the voicemail on the home phone. Yes, we still have one of those.

2 new voicemails.

"Hey kids, this is dad. I'm staying late tonight and I won't be home until you both are asleep. Just letting you two know." My dads voice cut off.

"Hey kids, it's mom. The bakery is having a reopening from the renovations and I have to be there all night preparing for it. I know your father won't be home, so Casey? You're making dinner."

Really mom?

"Haha! You're making dinner." Grant yelled. I turned around and thought for a moment.

"Not my division." I said simply before walking upstairs to take an early shower. Hey! I'm not going anywhere else today.

When I finished, I changed into a tank top and black sweatpants. I went downstairs to make breakfast for dinner, like the good sister that I am.
••
"Grant!! I made dinner!!" I yelled up the stairs. I heard thumping down the stairs and running down the hall.

He ran to get a plate, which he filled up, and grabbed juice. Then he ran upstairs with no reply.

You're welcome, I thought sarcastically.

I sighed and filled my plate before cleaning up the kitchen and heading up to my room to watch Age of Ultron.

About 2 1/2 hours later I went to tell Grant to go to bed. I found him already asleep curled up next to his stuffed animal I got him when he was born. I smiled softly and grabbed his plate. I kissed his forehead and turned off his light.

Then shut the door quietly.

Now I can go to bed. The burdens of being an older sister. I guess it is also a gift, if you think about it.

I went up to my room and took out my contacts and put on my glasses.

Crap!! I have a test in the morning. I guess no sleep for me. I pulled out my laptop in disdain.
••
"AHHHHHH!"

I groaned. I don't remember changing my alarm clock to screaming.

Wait.

Screaming.

I shot up. Grant.

"HOLD ON GRANT, IM COMING." I ran as fast as could down the hall and threw open his door.

Oh God.

"Brandon?!" Brandon was standing over Grant with a metal baseball bat in his hands.

"You have one more chance Casey. Take me back, or I'll beat your brother more, until I get tired or he dies." I glanced over at Grant's bruised face. He was whimpering and shaking his head no. I sighed. Sorry kiddo.

I lunged at Brandon.

I knocked him off of Grant and on to the floor. No one is hurting my baby brother and getting away with it.

I yelled at Grant to call 911.

I fought to stay on top of Brandon, but he is a football player.

I don't sport.

He flipped us over where he was sitting on me with the bat above his head.

"Any last words?" He cackled. I looked up at him.

"Coulson lives." He stared in shock for a moment before bringing the bat down on my skull.

My vision darkened and the last thing I remember is the cops bursting in the room with Grant behind him, seemingly safe.

I smiled in relief. Grant is ok.

Then the world went dark.
••
Sooooo.

What do you think???

I know, I know.

A Sherlock reference and a Marvel reference?!

You are too cool Kaelyn.

I know.

Just kidding. I can't wait to get Lokittu tomorrow!!

EEEEK!!

Then a marvel movie marathon next week!! AHHHHH!!

Then school in a month and a half.

Boo.

ANY QUESTIONS?!

Ok.

THATS ALL!!

TTYL!