Chapter Twenty [Part Two]

A/N: Here we are. The final chapter of Drive. Stay tuned for the sequel, Hunter's Knife, which is a work in progress soon to be published. Upon its' publication I will post on this story once more saying that it's here. Until then, enjoy this chapter lovelies. Oh, and in case opinions have changed since the last time I asked, who's team Harry, and who's team Zayn? On Chapter Sixteen, everyone favored Harry. Now that this book is coming to a close however, who's opinions have changed? I love you all. Stay awesome. x

Liam was exhausted.

Upon being dropped off at his off-campus apartment by a panicky Niall and a bitter Zayn, he hardly had the energy to climb the stairs. The weekend had been long, the events dramatic, and it didn't end when they left the campsite. 

He felt terrible for Niall, honestly. He knew that the blonde didn't want sympathy, but he couldn't help it. The poor lad had been having a full-fledged meltdown. Everyone handled anxiety differently, and Niall seemed to just need to let it all out, and then he'd be fine. Granted, it did take an hour or two for Zayn to get him to a place where he could function properly and they could make it back to town. He ended up needing to coax him to sleep - the drive back was full of silent tension which Liam wouldn't dare break.

Liam had no reason to complain about it - after everything that they had been through the entire weekend, he wasn't going to add to their plates. Besides that, he couldn't say he minded much. Of course it wasn't fun for him to listen to Niall's heartbreaking cries, but he understood. Of course he did. He wanted to apologize for everything, but whenever he tried to open his mouth, Zayn told him that there was no real reason for him to be apologizing. Liam had to agree that, if anyone were to apologize, it would have to be Harry. 

He loved his boyfriend (ex-boyfriend?) to pieces, in spite of what he's done to everyone, and it was painful to admit that everything would be tension and drama free had Harry never come along. University wasn't his setting, anyone could see that much. It was a setting full of sex and alcohol and none of that was good for him when his brain already didn't function like a normal person's would. 

He felt bad admitting that it was the best decision for Harry and him to split. He loved him, he loved him more than anything and nothing could ever change that, but it was evident that the brunette wasn't in the right frame of mind to have a boyfriend. 

Maybe he never had been. He was fragile, and his confident facade tended to hide most of that. Liam just wished he hadn't been blinded like everyone else - Louis, especially. While Liam had to admit that he himself was guilty of fawning over Harry and catering to his every need, no matter how ridiculous, no one obsessed quite like Louis. It was almost unnerving, in a way, the way that he watched over the younger lad. Part of Liam thought it was just instinctive, him looking after his best mate the way that best mates do, but the other part of him knew better than that. Their friendship simply wasn't normal, and it wasn't just Harry who had the mental problems.

He felt awfully guilty thinking that way. As far as things went, Louis was actually a halfway decent guy most of the time. He was protective, friendly to most, and not a complete doormat. He could stand up for himself - but maybe not to someone as manipulative as Harry.

Mentally exhausted, Liam inserted his key into the lock - with several tries, the key hitting the mental half the time. He twisted, nearly broke the key off, and pushed the door open. Even in his half-awake state, he could tell that there was something off.

The house smelled of smoke, very fresh smoke. Liam didn't believe in smoking, so he couldn't imagine that it was he who did anything. He could hear the distinctive sound of heavy, unsteady breathing coming from the other room, and immediately he was alarmed. It occurred to him that someone had broken into his house. Liam was a university student that didn't have very much money, nothing of value, so his main concern was being hurt.