Chapter Sixteen [Part One]

A/N: You guys make me so unbelievably happy with all the comments and feedback on this story. When I came back I assumed everyone had given up on me and this story (believe me, I don't blame the people who did). I love hearing what you guys have to say in regards to everything. Rarely do I ask for feedback, but I have one question for you all - Team Harry, or Team Zayn? Your answers will not affect the outcome of this story, it's all set in stone for how it will play out, but I'm definitely curious as there appear to be mixed opinions about both of them. I love you guys - stay radical. x

"...Can I ask what exactly his deal is?"

The sun had long since set, and the fire was ablaze once more. Ed and Angela, who claimed they spent the entire day swimming in the nearby lake, had returned for a dinner of hotdogs, cooked over the fire, that they were in the midst of. Josh had also made an appearance, and much to Niall's hidden disappointment, said nothing about his afternoon with Harry. The blonde tried to tell himself that he could care less about what he was getting up to, but the whole blowout with Liam earlier had caught him off guard completely. Even if Liam had agreed to dinner, and was currently sitting opposite of Niall and Zayn at the firepit, he didn't seem to want to talk about what happened.

It had been Josh who had asked, much to Niall's surprise. He knew Josh and Louis were friends, so naturally he assumed that he was affiliated with Harry, as well. Evidently, he was wrong. The question had completely caught Niall's attention - he wanted to know, as well. The brunette seemed a lot more fragile than he originally thought. He felt horrible for thinking that maybe he brought this on himself.

Liam didn't seem too pleased about this question. He didn't even look at Josh as he continued chewing on his food, his eyes fixiated on the flickering flames. The hand that wasn't occupied by the hotdog was clutching onto the sleeve of his sweatshirt. He was shivering, but Niall would bet good money that he wasn't just cold. 

A tense, ungainly silence filled the air, but that was a given. Without Louis and Harry around, things were quiet for once. Josh, who had been there to bear witness to Harry's meltdown earlier, had allowed them to use the camper to cool down for awhile. Even though Harry had struggled quite the lot, trying to hit Louis and constantly telling him to go fuck himself, the older lad had eventually got him inside. It took about thirty minutes before they could hear Harry's hysterical ranting and sobbing die down, and Niall assumed he had worn himself out and fallen asleep. 

Louis had yet to emerge.

"He's fine," was Liam's answer when he finally spoke. All eyes around the firepit fell on him, waiting to hear more. Niall, pressed in close to Zayn, leaned forward just the slightest bit - his eager ears waiting. He didn't know why he wanted to hear so badly. He just wanted to know what in the hell Harry's problem was. "Most of the time, anyways. Usually easy-going and calm."

Niall could believe that. It was his immediate perception of Harry, after all - a lad who, although may have some underlying issues, was generally quite mellow. He had majorly underestimated Harry, evidently. 

"Fine?" Josh inquired, tilting his head. "He hit you."

The splotchy bruise on Liam's cheek was quite the shiner. Niall hadn't seen a bruise so vibrant in quite a few years - and that said a lot, seeing as he was an athlete. It was quite unsettling to see the mark on Liam's face when he had emerged from the camper, and it was even more unsettling knowing who exactly caused it. 

He was well aware that Harry Styles was no angel, but to have hit his boyfriend? Niall wouldn't have believed it had he not seen the bruise with his own two eyes.

Liam swallowed rather audibly, but there was no food in his mouth. "...Yeah, he did. He's a messed up kid, okay? He does things he shouldn't. We all do. But he...he can't help it. He's had shit happen to him and he - he just can't help it."