Chapter Twelve

A/N: WUT. Do you remember that time when Taylor actually updated her stories? No? ...Yeah, me neither. Alrighty, so- I am not going to get into details on why I've been shitty with everything lately because that would take a million and a half years and you guys don't care you just want to bloody read Drive. Laughs because all the people who are so done with me right now not even a joke. I AM BACK THOUGH I SWEAR. And in my pathetic attempt to try and make it up to you guys (HAHAHAHA) enjoy this longer than usual update (complete with some harry flashbacks woah) and I promise to bang out chapters quickly for you guys. I AM SO SORRY I LOVE YOU ALL THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO WILL STILL READ THIS BUT I DON'T BLAME YOU IF YOU WANT TO KILL ME BC HONESTLY WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH ME I DON'T EVEN KNOW OKAY HERE IS THE CHAPTER.

"...So you're leaving me?"

Louis Tomlinson's head snapped in the direction of his best mate- who was currently standing in the doorframe, his arms hanging loosely at his sides and dazzling green eyes the size of plates. Harry didn't appear to be taking the news well, and Louis had expected just as much. He was never exactly bothered by the way the younger lad was so dependent on him, but Harry should have known that it was impossible for Louis to always be there.

"Don't think of it like that," Louis murmured, looking down to avoid Harry's eyes. He traced the pattern on the counter with his fingers, making aimless circles and patterns. "You know this is my dream school, Harry. I worked hard."

He knew that what he was saying wasn't exactly comforting, and definitely not what his best mate wanted to hear from him, but it was true. Ever since the two of them were young boys, just after his mum died of cancer, Louis wanted to be a doctor. He was a smart boy, that much was undeniable, but he did work to maintain his 4.0 grade point average and balance extracurricular activities. He promptly earned a full ride scholarship, and though he should have been overjoyed, it was this very conversation he was not looking forward to.

It wasn't that Harry couldn't take care of himself. He was a fully functioning adult, after all. He could manage on his own, but Louis was well aware that he didn't want to be alone. To be perfectly honest, Louis didn't see why Harry couldn't just go and live with his boyfriend. Liam was a great kid, fully stable, and it was plain to see that he would do absolutely anything for Harry. It didn't make much sense, but Louis didn't really push the matter. It was true that there is no changing Harry's mind once it's already set.

"...But..." Harry stammered, and Louis could see how glassy his mate's eyes were getting. He silently cursed to himself- Harry had great affects on him when he got teary like that. Sometimes he thought that his best mate knew of what he did. Knew that he practically tore Louis apart by simply taking in a bloody breath. He hated it. Sometimes he hated Harry. "No. You can't. You promised."

Louis sighed, ran a hand through his messy brown hair. He looked like the epitome of shit and he was fully aware of it. This moment- he had been dreading it more than he could fathom. He hadn't slept right for the past couple nights. Every time he closed his eyes, he saw those glittering green eyes shining with tears, and he wouldn't even want to blink.

"Harry," is the only thing that ends up escaping his lips, and Harry is staring at him like he's expecting something that won't happen. In fact, that's exactly what's happening, and Louis hates to admit it to himself. "I'm sorry. I can't just- I can't stay here forever. Neither can you."

Harry looked away, and stared at the wall behind Louis. He bit at his full, pink lower lip- he was noticeably pinching at his upper thigh. He was trying to make Louis feel guilty, and it was most definitely working in his favor.