Chapter Seventeen

A/N: We are coming to the end. There are two more chapters if you don't include this one and the two-part finale. For those of you who are wondering - there will be a sequel. In no way are their stories even close to being over. c;

"I don't think you've ever done something so stupid in your entire life, you know?"

All was silent until Louis piped up, shattering the silence that had been hanging thick in the tense air between him and his best mate. The only people left were the two brunettes and Josh, who only hung around because he had to get the camper back to town after Louis moved their stuff. Zayn and Niall had fled, as quick as humanly possible, taking Liam with them, and Ed and Angela weren't terribly far behind. Things were too tense for Louis after the incident, and rightfully so. He's seen Harry fight, many times, and in more than a few of said fights the bloody knife was present. Louis was pretty sure that Harry wasn't capable of actually stabbing someone, but you just never know.

The curly-haired lad was utterly silent as he sat on the stairs of the camper, his face in his hands, slumped over in his own lap. If Louis didn't know any better, he'd say Harry just died sitting there. But he did know better, and he should no better than to be talking to him right now, but he deserved a good scolding after what happened. Frankly, Louis found the whole thing to be stupid and immature, fighting over a boy. Maybe it was just him being blunt, but Louis is almost certain that Niall does not like Harry, even the slightest bit.

Honestly, he wouldn't even consider the two of them friends. Even before the trip Niall seemed wary, and it was understandable enough. Not that he intended on doing so, but Harry had a tendency to make peole uncomfortable. He never meant to do it, Louis was sure of that much, but he couldn't help it. Most people aren't used to Harry's upright demeanor - the lad lacked any and all sense of shame, really.

Throughout his years of knowing Harry, Louis came across plenty of people who informed him that Harry's behavior was socially unacceptable, to say the least. Louis wouldn't go so far as to say that much, but that was probably just because he was used to it, at this point. Harry had grown on him, and as time went on, Louis found himself infatuated by his younger friend. He didn't really mind Harry's questionable habits and behaviors, most of the time. It isn't his fault that he is the way he is, and it never will be. He didn't ask for his disorder, and he certainly didn't ask to be abandoned.

Louis pondered what to do as he picked up their bags, one by one, and tossed them into the boot of his car. Harry was meant to be helping, but ever since Liam, Zayn, and Niall left he refused to move from the spot on the stairs. Louis didn't allow himself to worry about it too much - Harry would move when it was time to go, but no sooner. He was just being stubborn after the incident. 

Said incident was fresh in Louis's mind. The glint of the knife, the terror in everyone's eyes - particularly Zayn's. Even though Louis knew Harry wouldn't stab someone, no one else did. He was pretty sure everyone on the trip thought Harry was batshit crazy at this point, to be blantantly honest. He can't really blame them - even he had to admit that Harry was a little less than stable.

That brought him to his next issue at hand. He didn't know what the hell he was going to do with Harry. University clearly wasn't the right setting for him - at least not at this point in their lives. Harry needed help. A lot of help. He knew his mate didn't want to see a therapist, but Louis was beginning to figure it wasn't so much about what Harry wants anymore - more so about what he needs

"Harry," he finally spoke, grunting as he chucked the last of the bags into the trunk, slamming it shut. "Let's go."

The curly-headed lad didn't move a muscle from his current position. He was completely still. From where Louis was standing, it didn't even look like he was breathing. Louis cursed Harry's stubborn nature under his breath, before beginning to advance towards his mate, his arms crossed firmly over his chest.

Harry didn't look up as he approached. The younger lad was slumped over, with his elbows resting on his knees and his face buried in his hands. He was silent, so silent that Louis couldn't even hear him breathing. His chest was moving, albeit very slowly, but he was completely unresponsive.

"Harry," Louis tried again, and grabbed his mate by the elbow, yanking him to his feet. Harry stumbled, and would have fallen, but Louis kept him upright by slipping an arm around his waist. It could have just been him trying to be difficult, but Louis doubted it. He knew his mate better than that. "Come on. You have to help me out here."

As expected, Harry did absolutely nothing. Louis groaned, and when he started to move, Harry wouldn't budge. Louis figured there was no use in trying to coax him out of his current state, so he didn't try - rather, he silently scooped the taller lad up in his arms. Almost immediately Harry had his face buried in his chest, and Louis couldn't help but to let out a sharp sigh as he began carrying him over to the car. 

"Is he alright, Lou?"

The voice belonged to Josh, who had been messing about in the camper and making sure nothing had been left behind. The brunette sounded admittedly tense, and Louis tried to ignore that - he knew it was because of the situation that had played out earlier. He couldn't blame him.

"He's fine," came the short response. Louis didn't even turn around to look at him - only advanced towards his car. "I'll see you later, man."

Without another word Louis swung open the back door, and laid Harry down on the backseat, knowing that his mate would probably want to lie down. He tried his hardest not to look at Harry's face, as he knew it would be blank of emotion and he wouldn't want to see that, and shut the door.

When he came back up, he could see Josh approaching the car. He held in a groan - Josh was a really great friend, sure, but Louis's priority right now was Harry. He had to get his mate to a suitable place to take care of him. However, he knew there was some stuff he had to clear up. Josh was probably mortified.

So, he met him halfway. "Listen, mate-..."

"Let me," Josh was quick to cut him off, and Louis went silent as the older lad pulled out a small, orange bottle from his sweatshirt pocket. The small pills rattled within their container. Louis felt his heart in his neck as he held out his hand, and Josh handed them over. "Thought you might need these."

Louis knew what they were even before he looked at the label, and looking down only confirmed his suspicions. He felt his blood go cold  in his veins as he looked up at Josh with unintentionally harsh eyes. 

"Where did you get these?"

He tried and failed to keep the harsh edge out of his voice. He didn't mean to sound condescending, for he was almost certain Josh hadn't done anything wrong, but it was almost impossible. He wasn't mad - just really concerned. 

"Harry gave them to me," was Josh's answer, and he sounded almost regretful. "At the liquor store. He wanted me to get rid of them. I took them so I could give them back to you. I didn't really trust..."

Nothing more needed to be said, but it appeared Josh didn't want to finish his sentence, anyhow.

Louis sighed, and without a word nodded his head before returning to the car and slipping into the driver's seat. He took a quick glance at his mate and, upon seeing that his eyes were closed, pulled up the GPS on his phone.

He was out of options.

He had to take Harry back home.