Chapter Three

[slight hints at smut near the end.x]

After seeing a movie that neither boy could actually remember the name of, the dynamic duo of Niall and Zayn decided that their date didn't have to end. They opted for heading to the lake - the very one that they had attended a girl's party at a couple weeks back or so.

It wasn't the warmest of nights - Niall, who hadn't thought to wear a sweater or anything, had goosebumps all up and down his skinny arms. Still it was a beautiful night, with stars twinkling and the moonlight shining on the lake, and Niall wouldn't want to be anywhere else. But it wasn't just because of the beauty.

To lay on the sand, warm yet moist against his bare skin, being held by the softest, strongest arms in the world was a great feeling. His legs, covered by his black jeans, were twisted up with Zayn's - his head rested in the crook of the older boy's neck.

"Should have told me you were cold," a voice whispered into Niall's ear, and the younger boy tilted his head to look up at his boyfriend. He gave him a confused look, and Zayn laughed at him. "I can feel you shivering."

Niall squeezed his eyes shut, and returned to his normal position. "No big deal."

Except, it was, because Niall's lips were getting a slight blue tint that was near impossible to see due to the poor illumination on his facial features. Even so, Zayn could hear his teeth chattering.

"Is too," Zayn mumbled tiredly, and pulled Niall closer - he didn't want his boyfriend to be uncomfortable on a night that was supposed to be romantic and lovely for the both of them. Zayn only wanted things to be perfect, and that's really not so much to ask. He didn't quite fancy having to take his boyfriend to Attention and Emergency for freezing to death (Zayn might be playing it on a bit thick, but he was worried, okay). "Do you want to go back to the car?"

Niall thought about saying yes, but there was a part of him telling him that going back to the Volvo wouldn't be as romantic as laying by the ocean. And, he wouldn't admit it, but he was just a tad bit afraid of messing this entire thing up.

"No," he answered almost immediately, and it probably wasn't very assuring of an answer. "It's fine, really. I'll be fine."

Zayn held him tighter.

His mouth ghosted over the sensitive, ticklish part of Niall's ear. He licked at his lips before he spoke, "Can I ask you something?"

Niall giggled, "Just did."

"Shut up," Zayn grumbled, and Niall placed a kiss on his boyfriend's neck to make up for it. "I mean, like, really though. A serious question."

Niall shuddered. A serious question could really mean anything, according to prior experience with those very words. And the fact that this was Zayn saying it made Niall's stomach ache in anticipation. Weakly, he nodded his head - though he wasn't sure he wanted to hear if it was going to be anything bad.

"Yeah," he squeaked, and could immediately feel a scarlet blush run from his neck, to his face. "Go ahead."

"I just..." Zayn breathed out heavily, and Niall opened his eyes. His boyfriend's eyes were towards the sky. "I wanted to ask you if, um...you know what? Nevermind. I shouldn't have even...it's stupid. Forget I said anything."

"No," Niall drawled out, carrying the 'o' further than he needed to. "You know it doesn't work that way. Now you have to tell me."

"It's-,"

"Zayn."

"I guess I just...I want to know where you think this is going. What this is, I mean. Like, what comes next? I know what I want, but..."

"You want my opinion?" Niall muttered lazily, not having expected a question like this. He hadn't thought much about it, honestly. He could feel Zayn nod. "I don't really know at this point. All I really know is that I love you, and...I really don't want to leave you, ever."

Zayn leaned down a slight, almost leaning for a kiss, but he stopped when his lips were a mere few centimeters from Niall's. "Never, ever worry about that, Niall. I want to be with you until you don't want to be with me. Even then, I'll still want you. Shit, Niall...I love you way too much to even think about that."

Their lips met for a mere second or two, but Niall soon pulled away, "You said you knew what you wanted? What would that be?"

"It's kind of stupid, really..."

"Enlighten me."

"Sarcastic tonight, I see," Zayn teased, getting a small laugh out of Niall, but his face was serious once more quick enough. "I just wanted something...serious. I mean, we've been together for three years now, and...I don't know, I guess I was just playing around with ideas about, like...family and stuff."

Niall pushed himself up with his hands so that he was now sitting with his legs crossed. Zayn copied his actions.

"That's not weird, right?" Zayn asked, cocking his head slightly. Niall thought it was cute the way he did that when he was nervous - about what, Niall couldn't be completely sure. "I mean, if that's weird we can just forget I said that and-,"

Niall pushed him a slight, with a giggle that made Zayn's heart race. "Oh, stop it with the rambling. It's not weird at all. Even if it was, that's okay because I'm used to it by now. I think your idea sounds wonderful, Zayn."

Zayn flushed red, and pulled his boyfriend onto his lap - so that Niall's legs, thin and long, were wrapped around Zayn's waist.

"I love you," Zayn murmured as he rested his chin on top of Niall's head. He breathed in - the scent of Niall's shampoo was overwhelming his nose, in a good way. "You don't even know how long I've been in love with you."

Niall giggled, "Three years?"

"Longer."

Their lips connected once more, and Zayn pulled both himself and Niall down so that Niall was lying on top of him. One of Zayn's hands found Niall's hair, and he threaded his hands through the soft blonde locks, while the other rested on the small of Niall's back. The smaller boy's hands were trapped underneath Zayn.

"You're pretty," Zayn mumbled to him through their kisses, and Niall laughed again - sending little vibrations past his lips, making his and Zayn's tremble. "Seriously."

Niall pulled back slightly, Zayn's hands supporting his every movement. He grinned at his boyfriend, "You act like I'm such a prize."

"You are," Zayn told him, minty breath hitting Niall's face in a pleasant way. "The best."

"I love you."

"Love you more."

And then clothes were shed, feverish kisses were shared, and their night went on as complete, utter perfection.

[Thanks for reading. Sorry for the wait. x - Taylor Mae.]