Chapter Fifteen

"We need to talk."

Harry almost jumped out of his skin. The second he closed the camper door, a bag filled with the liquor he and Josh had purchased hanging from his arm, he was faced with a rather grumpy looking boyfriend. Not only were Liam's lips pursed into a frown, but his eyes were bloodshot - a telltale sign that he had been crying.

Those four words were the last ones Harry wanted to hear. Those were the words that meant nothing but bad news. Louis had said them when he announced he was going to university. His mum had used them when she had to tell him that his aunt had died. 

Harry was ready to have this conversation, though. The game that he was playing - he was a master at it. This game in particular he used against everyone to get his way. Liam was no exception, and he never had been. 

"Hey, baby," Harry greeted, acting as if he didn't notice the way Liam's voice had trembled when he spoke. He sat the bag on top of the counter before plunking himself down at the table - directly across from his boyfriend. His eyes were particularly soft as he looked into the familiar brown eyes. "What did you need?"

Liam looked down, and Harry knew, in that moment, he still had him wrapped around his finger. Way back when they had first started dating, Liam had told him that those beautiful green eyes got him every single time.

Some things just don't change, and Harry's glad.

"Listen..." Liam murmured, his eyes fixiated on the table. His hands were folded in his lap, and knowing him, he was probably twiddling his thumbs - a nervous habit of his. "I spoke to Niall and Zayn earlier."

This statement immediately caught Harry's attention, as the blood in his veins turned cold. His teeth subconsciously ground together. What was Liam doing talking to the two of them? More so, what had they said about him? 

"Alright," was the answer he forced out.

Liam took in a deep, shaky breath. "And they told me some stuff. Said that you might be...interested, in Niall."

Harry's breath hitched in his throat as he listened to Liam speak, and his world crumbled around him, just like that. His hands gripped his thighs, and he dug his nails into his skin through his jeans. His heart was beginning to pound.

"...You don't actually believe them, do you?" his voice was quiet and shaky when he spoke up. He could practically hear the blood thundering in his ears and it only got worse when Liam wouldn't look up at him. That meant that, yes, he did believe them. Harry could have puked. "...Liam. Why would you even...?"

Liam's eyes were watery when he finally did look up - brimming with tears that were threatening to spill over. "Harry...I wish I didn't believe them but you - you seem so uninterested and you only touch me when you want me. And Niall...this isn't the first time your thing for him was brought up."

Harry shot up from his seat, shaking the table unintentionally as he did so. He could feel Liam's eyes on him as he turned around, attempting to avoid his gaze. His eyes burned out of his control as he clenched his fists, feeling an overwhelming need to hit something.

He had to hold himself back from taking a swing at Liam. He knew that, if he were still looking at him, he wouldn't be able to hold himself back. 

"I don't have a thing for Niall," he spoke through his teeth, his blunt nails beginning to sink into his palms. "How could you fucking accuse me of that, Liam? After everything that we've been through - why would you do this to me?"

The rising of Harry's voice, a telltale sign he was going hysterical, was beginning to concern Liam. He knew Harry well, better than most did, but his condition was something that he would never fully get used to. Partially because sometimes Harry played it up and stretched the truth, so it was difficult to tell when there was really something wrong. 

Harry was an enigma, to say the least. Liam loved him, of course he did, but he just wasn't the easiest person to be around most of the time.

Liam rose from the table, more calmly than Harry had. He knew better, from personal experience, than to touch Harry when he was in this state. So, no matter how much he wanted to give the younger lad a gentle touch, he refrained.

"Harry," he whispered, attempting to keep his voice gentle. He knew he wasn't as good at calming the brunette down as Louis was, but he had to try. He couldn't just let Harry have a panic attack. "Please. Just listen to me. We're not how we used to be. We-,"

"Stop!"

Harry was tugging at his curls, his fingers tight in his mess of hair. He gripped it hard - so hard that Liam was afraid he would pull a chunk of it out. It wouldn't be the first time.

The younger lad looked like he was in actual physical pain. Liam couldn't see his face, but his shoulders were tensed and his wrists were pressed up against his ears, as if he were trying to block out sound. His voice had come out something halfway between a shriek and a scream. It also sounded like he was struggling to breathe.

"You can't do this to me Liam. You can't," Harry's breathing seemed to grow more panicked by the second. He didn't take his arms away from his ears, nor did he turn around. "You can't leave me. You said you would never leave me."

Liam could hear his heart throbbing in his chest, but he couldn't let Harry get to him. "I can't keep doing this Harry. Neither can you. You need help."

This brought out a laugh from the younger boy, who suddenly whipped around - faster than Liam could comprehend. Before he could even blink, he was being slammed into the wall, causing the camper to shake a bit in protest. Harry's hands gripped onto his collar, and he pressed their bodies together rather close.

"After everything," he growled directly in Liam's face. It's the first time Liam notices that his eyes are not the only ones that are burning. Harry looked as if he were about to cry - his bright green eyes shining with unshed tears. "After every fucking thing, Liam. How could you do this to me?"

"Harry-,"

Liam heard it before he felt Harry's fist connect with the side of his face. His knees buckled, his body threatening to crumble, but Harry's grip on him kept him upright. He could feel the unpleasant metallic taste flood his mouth and he immediately knew he was bleeding.

"Why, Liam?" Harry had tears streaking down at this point. Liam could hear it in his voice. His eyes, which had closed upon the hit, refused to look directly at him. "Why would you leave me? Why does everyone leave me? Answer me!"

He gave Liam a hard shake, but the older boy kept his mouth shut. He knew better.

Even if he wanted to say something, he didn't get the opportunity. It was in that moment that Harry let him go, and was out the door in three seconds flat - slamming it hard behind him. It took Liam a few seconds to recollect himself, spitting the blood in his mouth to the side, before he was following him out the door - against his better judgement.

"Harry!" he called to the retreating younger lad. Everyone was sitting around the diminished fire pit - Louis and Josh drinking, Zayn and Niall wrapped up in each other, Ed and Angela in a similar position. In half a second, Louis was up as well. Being closer to Harry, he chased after his best mate. "Harry!"

Louis got to Harry first, and he grabbed onto the younger lad's elbow. Big mistake. Harry let out a deathly shrieking sound, and immediately tried to yank his arm away. Louis was having none of it. In one swift motion, he grabbed Harry's arms and forced them behind his back, holding them there rather securely and refusing to let go. He was aware that everyone's eyes were on them, but at the moment, he had bigger concerns.

Out of the corner of his eye, Liam could see Zayn lean over and whisper to Josh. "What the hell is his problem?"

Evidently Zayn wasn't being as quiet as he thought. Not only could Liam hear him, but apparently Harry could as well. The younger boy growled in Louis's arms, flailing rather manically. Liam didn't doubt that if he weren't trapped, he would rip Zayn's throat out. 

Louis, still holding a flailing Harry, peered up at Liam and glared. "What the hell did you do to him?"

Liam stayed silent. When it came to Harry, you were always the bad guy.