The Way It Should Be

With clenched teeth, I grabbed the little amount of belongings I had remaining and shoved them into a bag; taking only what I needed and leaving the rest for Lin, it wasn't something I couldn't replace when I returned to Trigeda.

I could only imagine the twice as scornful looks I will get there but it didn't matter, my father would stand up for me.

I heard a gentle ruffle behind me and threw down the piece of clothing to face the person entering my space.

"Papa." I greeted with a saddened smile. Sitting to give him my full attention. He was about to say something important, I could see it in his tensed frown.

"Are these your things?" He asked, stalling, though I didn't mind the conversation.

I looked behind me to my scattered belongings: knives, clothes, furs.

I nodded, smiling faintly. "I made them all from scratch after I was banished."

"How long were you out there for? Why did your sister not do anything to stop it?" He questioned further.

I looked down at my fingers which were laced tightly together. My lips parted and letting out an uncomfortable mumble.

He stared at me intently, he knew the answer but didn't want to jump to conclusions, or think ill of his deceased daughter.

"She was the one that banished me... But she did it in order to protect me from the thousand blades." I assured him.

He nodded, pursing his lips, flashes of memory clouded over his intense eyes. "She always did watch over you."

I smiled and scooted closer to him, placing a hand on his bicep with a gentle squeeze. "You would have been proud of what she had been able to do."

We stayed silent for a while. The thousands of questions we wanted to exchange remaining locked only in our thoughts.

"We can go now, I just have to tell Bellamy." I muttered.

"You hadn't told the boy?" He asked, looking across the tent at me.

I sighed and dipped my head. "I couldn't bare seeing him fight for me, it would be too painful."

I could hear him swallow his nerves. Why was he so nervous?

"You must stay."

I pricked up and looked at him, puzzled, not sure if I had heard him right.

"S-sorry, papa?" I stuttered, my eyes remaining wide.

"It's clear your life is here now, you have a love for these people and I will not take you away from that. I refuse to let your heart break." He elaborated. "Besides, the boy, Bellamy, he cares for you as you do him and he will do a much greater job of keeping you from harms way than I."

My smile was undecided as it rose and fell all at once. "It's not like you to admit that." I joked. My father was the toughest man in our clan, probably the best held together too. Since a young age, he hadn't lost a single battle or fight, he was skilled and strong but not only that, his emotions were always in check. No matter how hard the day was, no matter how badly he was injured or how many lives he had taken, he would always return home and be the father Anya and I needed and the husband that mother fell in love with. Every second he had spare from his duties would be spent with family. Whenever he was with anyone other than us, he wore a frown as cold as the ice on the mountains, he wasn't a man to be messed with.