(7) Only in a Lifetime

Chapter 7

Harriet’s POV

‘Today is the day,’ I told Dominic as we entered school. It’s been over two weeks now since my party. ‘I’m going to tell Jesse he’s my baby’s father,’ I explained as Dominic and I walked into school.

‘I’m not sure anymore Hattie, I mean Lucy explained something to me the other day. What if you ruin Prince Charles’ reputation?’ Dominic pointed out as he turned to face me just beside the front entrance.

‘I do not care about Charles, Dominic!’ I yelled getting a few looks. ‘Look Dominic, this isn’t for me, it’s for my baby. I don’t need Jesse - I need his money,’ I said in a hushed tone.

‘Look Hattie, I’m sorry but I can’t help you anymore with this. It isn’t right,’ Dominic resisted as he turned around.

‘Dominic, please don’t leave me. I thought you were my best friend,’ I moaned as I touched Dom’s arms.

‘I am, I just can’t do this. I know how it feels to get hurt and it isn’t nice. I’m sorry but, no.’ Dominic walked off quickly to join Lucy and Marcus who were stood beside our tutor room. I guess I’ll be doing this alone.

                The second lesson of the day came and I was in Jesse’s class. I walked over to his table. ‘Excuse me, Jesse,’ I announced I was there before I sat down. Jesse glanced at me before frowning and looking back at his work. ‘I’m sorry Jesse, but please-,’ I began but I got cut off.

‘Harriet, leave me alone. You’ve practically ruined my life so don’t come strutting round like you own me. Please,’ Jesse muttered as he continued to scribble on his paper. He was drawing little pictures, very detailed, little pictures.

‘But Jesse, I have to tell you something really important. You don’t understand!’ I practically screamed. Everyone in the class looked at me.

‘Harriet, be quiet!’ Mr Ifton demanded as he looked at me.

‘Sorry,’ I said quietly as I sat silently. ‘Jesse, please just listen to me.’

‘There isn’t anything else you need to say, Harriet. I trusted you and you betrayed me. I told you I loved Charles and you forced me to bed with you,’ Jesse spat in frustration.

‘I wanted to tell you this more privately but you seem to have a bit of a temper don’t you,’ I muttered back. ‘I’m pregnant,’ I spat in a whisper. Jesse stopped scribbling down the little picture and put his pen down.

‘Sir, can I be excused?’ Jesse questioned quickly.

‘For what reason?’ Mr Ifton asked.

‘I don’t have a reason, I just need to leave,’ Jesse snapped.

‘Mind your tone, young man!’ Mr Ifton said raising his voice. The entire class was now staring in our direction. ‘You don’t have a reason so there isn’t any way that you are leaving.’

‘Just you watch me!’ Jesse shouted as he stood up. He kicked his chair back into the desk behind him then picked up his bag then pushed past the desk. ‘Fuck this school!’ Jesse yelled as he opened the door then slammed it shut behind him.

Jesse’s POV

‘Jesse Taylor!’ I heard the roaring voice of our Principle. I continued to storm through the school corridors quickly. ‘Stop walking or else you’ll have detention!’

‘I don’t give a damn!’ I shouted back in response. ‘Give me a detention, I won’t even go!’ I continued to yell.

‘Jesse,’ Harriet said softly as she ran to my side.