(21) Only in a Lifetime

Chapter 21

Callie’s POV

I sat on the pew in the church, I was sat beside my mom and Jesse seen as Charles had to sit with his family in the royalty seats which were at the very front of the church. The eleven Jacob siblings stood at the front of the church with their sheets of paper waiting for their turn to read. I still can’t believe Julian’s dead. It was oldest to youngest so Elton was reading first. Elton looked towards the paper before taking a large breath. ‘So...’ Elton started before going quiet, he looked extremely nervous. ‘Julian Lucas Jacob, my little brother. Of course he had a few problems, but he was brilliant. Always smiling and there to help. When our parents died, he took it to himself to help raise our younger siblings and they’ve all grown up perfectly. I didn’t believe it when I got told Jules had died, I don’t think it will ever properly sink in. He’s my younger brother and I tried so hard to protect him from harm. Then he got kidnapped and my life changed; the whole family’s life changed...’

                ‘...Even though my big brother is no longer here, we’ll never, ever forget him,’ Hanna was the last to speak. The entire church broke out into claps and I could feel tears trickling down my face. My mom was sat with a tissue up to her eyes and my dad comforted her. Jesse was slightly crying whilst trying to look over to Charles who was sobbing.

‘Now, Prince Chandler, Prince Charles, Prince Alfred and Princess Elisa will be giving a speech,’ Elton called into the microphone before taking Hanna’s hand and walking off the stage to the front row. The entire family was crying apart from Elton, he kept strong. The audience clapped as the four member of the royal family walked to the stage. Charles looked terrible; he was pale and crying loudly. Chandler kept a comforting arm wrapped around his shoulder. Charles quickly took the microphone and held it in his shaking hands.

‘Julian and I were never really close, not until late last year...’ Charles paused as he let himself breathe deeply. ‘Even though we weren’t that close, he was still like a brother to me... When we were little I remember us getting lost in the palace basement, it was just Geoffrey, Jules and me. We spent like four hours running around a basement until one of the chefs finally found us. Julian was brilliant, a brilliant friend and just a brilliant human being-,’ Charles stopped and rubbed his eyes. ‘I’m sorry I can’t do this,’ Charles muttered into the microphone before handing it to Alfred. I saw Charles look in our direction, obviously at Jesse. Jesse shifted in his seat, like he wanted to jump up and run over to Charles. Alfie began speaking as Charles tapped his feet on the ground agitated. Chandler whispered something into his ear and Charles held a hand up to the crowd as if to say “excuse me”. He then stepped off the stage and rushed into our direction.

Charles’ POV

I couldn’t do it, I don’t know why but I couldn’t stay on the stage any longer. I felt like if I stayed on there I’d die or something. First the Jacobs’ lost their parents, now they’ve lost their brother. I ran down the red carpeted steps and over to Jesse, he looked so kind and welcoming. Jesse stood up as I ran to him. I stepped into their row and sat down beside Callie. ‘Geoffrey’s going to hate me,’ I muttered as Jesse sat down before pulling me into his arms.

‘He won’t hate you, babe,’ Jesse comforted as he kissed my hair which was done neatly. Callie rubbed her hand on my leg as gave me a reassuring smile even though she had tears covering her face. Jesse rubbed his hand in circles on my back as he rested his head on my hair. I was still crying though, I couldn’t stop.

Geoffrey’s POV

The funeral was over, Julian had been buried. Now we were at a meal, a meal at Julian’s favourite place. It was a posh place, I’ve only been twice. We went with mother and father once, then once for Julian’s sixteenth birthday. I was sat beside Callie and one of my younger brothers, Richard. ‘I’m sorry,’ Callie whispered to me. ‘About Julian,’ she added. I nodded silently whilst playing with the starter of salad. I wasn’t in the mood for eating but the royal family agreed to pay. ‘I got the letter though, the one you left last time you were in America,’ Callie told me, the truth was, I didn’t even care.