(20) Only in a Lifetime

Chapter 20

Jesse’s POV

Charles and Isabella were playing a game of foosball whilst Alfred and I were playing FIFA on the xBox. ‘I totally won that time,’ Isabella screeched as she jumped in the air repeatidly.

‘No you did not, you cheated,’ Charles argued as he also jumped around.

‘And how did I cheat?’ Isabella questioned as she stopped jumping then crossed her arms. Charles looked at her for a while before sticking his tongue out. I smirked to myself before turning back to FIFA. I didn’t even really know what FIFA was before coming to Driftwood; I guess I wasn’t a big fan of soccer. It’s a popular sport in Driftwood.

‘Which side am I scoring to Alfredo?’ I asked as I smirked at the nickname. I saw Alfie frown which made my smirk bigger.

‘Not the one you shooting too,’ Alfie muttered as his player took the ball from mine then ran to the same goal which I was heading to. I was so close to getting the ball back from Alfie when the hang out door burst open. Lilith, Geoffrey’s eldest sister came running in. She had tears running down her cheeks but she showed no emotion on her face.

‘Prince Charles, our family have to leave to the hospital,’ Lilith mumbled between tears. ‘You may stay here but Geoffrey had to leave. Julian has been rushed to hospital, he’s in a terrible condition,’ Lilith stuttered trying to remain her posture.

‘What happened to Julian? Will he be okay? Should I go with you?’ Charles questioned as he rushed from the foosball table to Lilith.

‘Julian tried to commit suicide, Prince Charles. He was unconscious when Jerold and Geoffrey found him, Prince. You may come with us if you like, that’s up to you,’ Lilith muttered. ‘Anyway I must leave; my siblings are waiting for me at the hospital. I got told to tell the royal family before leaving, goodbye Prince Charles,’ Lilith sobbed before she walked away from the room. I looked towards Charles whose eyes were wide.

‘I need to go to the hospital,’ Charles blurted. ‘Sorry Isabella, you’ll have to come round another time but you really need to leave. Is that okay?’ Charles asked as he picked up his jacket and threw it on before fastening his shirt properly.

‘That’s fine, I hope your friend gets better,’ Isabella prayed as she gave us all a faithful smile.

‘Alfie look after Isabella, make sure she gets home okay. Jesse we need to leave now,’ Charles shouted as he threw me my hoody. I pulled it over my head quickly then began running from the hang out. Charles was already racing down the pebbled pavement towards the palace again.

Before the limousine had even stopped moving Charles flung himself from his seat. I muttered a quick thank you to the driver before jumping out after him. ‘Jesse hurry up!’ Charles exclaimed as he pushed the door of the grand hospital open. I remember being here before.

Charles’ POV

I couldn’t feel my legs, they were numb with terror. Julian tried to kill himself, but why? I rushed up to the front desk before slamming my hands down onto it. ‘Julian Jacob, please,’ I cried out as I stopped to catch my breath. Jesse stood at my side before taking one of my hands which was still slammed onto the desk.

‘Prince Charles, Julian is in ward 264,’ the receptionist told me before giving me a half-hearted smile. I nodded before running away from the desk with Jesse hand still in mine.

                The hallway was empty except from the few people sat in chairs. I ran round a corner pulling Jesse with me. Then I saw them, all of the Jacob family was stood. Each of them was in tears. Geoffrey stood straight, he wore no sort of emotion and his eyes were blank. Geoffrey saw me then pushed past his siblings to get to me. ‘He’s dead, Julian is dead,’ Geoffrey stated, his whole body stiffened as the words left his lips.