Welcome to my Life

Malcolm and I didn't talk for the rest of the day.
Once the bell rang, he grabbed me.
"Come on, we can go to my place to work on the project," He said, grabbing his backpack and walking out the door.
I grabbed my beat-up leather jacket and ran out behind him.
We walked side by side on the sidewalk in silence until he spoke up.
"So, what's your story, Jayde Masters?" He asked.
I looked at him and flipped my hair out of my face. "I thought you didn't want to talk to me."
"Well, that was before we got stuck together for the rest of the fucking semester. So, we should probably start tolerating each other. So, life story?" Malcolm asked.
"Well, my life sucks ass, first of all. My parents never wanted kids, so I was the second mistake of the Masters family, and my parents made sure my brother and I knew we were screw-ups. When I was three, my parents were killed in a drive-by shooting. When that happened, my brother had just turned eighteen, so he adopted me. He bought an abandoned house for us, because that was all we could afford. When I was seven, he met his current girlfriend Pristine. They seemed to fall in love immediately, and she moved in with us a few months after that. Our house got worse and worse, and we were still poor as shit, so we couldn't do anything. When I was ten, we found out Pristine was pregnant. So, I learned how to fix a roof, put down kinda-new flooring, and fix plumbing. It sucked, but it had to be done. So, when Guiliana was born, our house was better. Not perfect, but better. And that's my story."
When I finished, Malcolm's jaw was almost on the ground.
"What?" I asked.
"Damn, girl, you've had it hard. I thought my life sucked," He said as we walked up the driveway to his house.
"Yeah, it has. So, what's your story, Malcolm?" I asked. He stopped before he opened the door. "You'll find out."