"That" Family

"REESE GIMME BACK MY BALL" "GET IT YOURSELF LOSER" "MOOOOOOM REESE TOOK MY BAAAAALLLLLL" "HE HIT ME WITH IT!"
I stopped in the doorway as I took in all the sights and sounds of Malcolm's house.
I recognized Reese immediately, but not the younger one.
I sighed, jumped up when Reese went by me, knocked the ball out of his hand, and handed it to the little boy.
"Here you go, kiddo. Now, run before he can grab it again!" I said, smiling at him.
"Thank you, Malcolm's friend!" He said, grinning and running off.
Reese and Malcolm stared at me.
"Damn, that was awesome," Malcolm said, smiling.
"You're dead, Masters," Reese said, glaring at me.
"Yeah, whatever, Reese," I said, turning to Malcolm. "Project time. Where we goin'?" I asked.
"My room. Let's go," He said.
I followed him down a hallway and went into his room. It was small, and I guessed that all of them shared it, but it worked.
We sat at the desk and cracked open our history books.
"Okay, so our project is on racial equality-"
"YES!" I said, smiling.
"What the hell?" Malcolm asked.
"Malcolm, I'm bi-racial, my parents were killed in a drive-by, and I live with my twenty-six year old brother, his twenty-four year old girlfriend, and their daughter in one of the worst houses in the neighborhood. I know ALL about racial equality, or inequality in this matter."
Malcolm looked at me for a while and smiled.
"What are you doing, weirdo?" I asked.
"You're cool, Jayde Masters. I think I might tolerate you," He said.
I grinned.
"I think I might tolerate you, too."
We worked on our project until it was dark outside and I decided to go home.
I walked to his door and smiled at him.
"See you tomorrow, Genius."
"Later, Normie."