The New Girl

"It's finally starting to feel like California again," I muttered, hurriedly pulling on a tank top.
It was the beginning of spring, and the temperatures were getting back into the 80's and 90's.
It felt like my normal, body-feels-like-it's-on-fire, lovable state again.
"Yay," Pristine said in the most monotone voice I've ever heard in my life.
"Aw, come on, Pristine, I don't know why you hate warm weather so much," I said, pulling on a pair of denim shorts and sandals.
"Mm-hmm. Come on, you're late," She said, handing me my backpack.
"No shit. Miss Grabby Hands messed up my alarm," I said, making a funny face at Guiliana.
She looked at me and smiled.
"Uh-huh. Bye, Pristine. Bye, Guili," I said, hugging them and running out the door.
Since I was so late, Malcolm and his brothers were probably already at school.
"Huh, this feels weird. Nobody talking to me, nobody holding my hands. This can't happen again," I said, pulling my Walkman out of my backpack.
I jammed out to the mixtape Malcolm made me over Christmas break until I got to school.
Only a few kids were outside in the parking lot, and of course, they were my favorite burnouts.
"Hey, Michael. Iris, Ricky," I said, waving to them.
They raised their cigarettes in the air as a greeting.
I walked into the classroom and slid into my seat without Herkabe noticing.
"Are you... okay?" Stevie asked, looking at me.
"Yeah, why?" I asked.
"You're never late! Are you sick?"
Dabney stopped talking and gasped. "DID YOU SPEND THE NIGHT AT MALCOLM'S?! YOU.... YOU... YOU--"
I slammed my hand over Dabney's mouth and looked him in the eye.
"Dabney, this is the time when you need to shut your cakehole before I kick you where the sun don't shine. Okay?" I said with a smile.
Stevie looked back and forth between us before concentrating intensely on the cover of his science book.
Meanwhile, Dabney was nodding furiously with a look of absolute fear shining in his eyes.
"Good."
I looked around for Malcolm because he wasn't in his usual seat right next to me.
Once my eyes finally landed on him, my heart stopped.
He was talking to a girl who must have been new, because I'd never seen her before.
They were both laughing and talking, but that wasn't the part that bothered me.
It was the look in her eyes.
They held a twinkle whenever Malcolm was talking.
I knew that look.
I had that same look for weeks.
Just as I was getting ready to get up to tell her what was up, the bell rang.
"Damn," I muttered, settling back into my seat.
Malcolm sat next to me and kissed my cheek.
"Hey babe," He said, smiling.
"Hey," I said, plastering an incredibly fake smile on my face.
"So, class, we have a new student with us. What's your name, new student?" Herkabe asked, gesturing for the girl to stand next to him.
She smiled at the class before saying the four words that would flip my world upside down for weeks.
"Hi, my name's Nikki."