Chapter Two - Imposter

Kiro above

Sogdiana Rock

Our band of survivors carried on, our burden so far away yet it felt as though it was upon our backs. We gained a few more travelers that had escaped while on the road and we managed to find scattered homes along the way to stop. It was low for us royals to ask for food, but that was all we could do to survive.

Titus had given the war horse to my mother and led the horse by rope. Another brought me a mule. Yet, nothing truly changed. The blistering heat glowed on my skin, causing sweat to drip down my body. I hated it so much, but I had no choice except to bare it.

Days had passed since the siege of Bactria. I stayed close to mother, my mind worry stricken. It was obvious Mama was worried and scared for father, as was I. I wasn't a physician of any sort, but I knew that mother's health was deteriorating fast. Her health would always get worse whenever father was away. It worried me even more, now that we were in the middle of no where running low on food and water.

Cassandra stayed close to me, her fingers laced with mine as she sat in my lap. I thought how we only had but a year or two left together now before father will start bringing in the suitors to battle for my hand in marriage. I shuddered at the thought. I did not wish to be married. To have to succumb to a man. To be just an object of lust and desire to a man. There had to be more than this, yet I had no choice but listen to my father's wishes. As I looked to Cassandra, I said a silent prayer for her to be safe and to never have to go through such a thing.

Titus also stayed close, his eyes wandering over to me every so often. Even young Cassandra noticed with a giggle.

"He sure has his eye on you, Roxana. Do you think Papa will choose him as a suitor?" she questioned with a giggle.

"Nonsense. He is now forever in my debt. He is just watching out for my safety," I said with a small laugh, "Besides, he is far too young to be a suitor for me. Perhaps for you one day,"

We both giggled beneath our hoods and stole glances at Titus.

"We're here!!" A commoner boy yelled from the front of the pack.

As we neared the top of the hill, there is was. Our Sogdian Rock Fortress. It was old and tacky from the wear and tear of past wars, but it would do for now. No longer was it used to defend, but now a refuge for the homeless, those who had witness the war. There was still part of the fortress left in ruins from the last war to hit it. But from our journey from the tragic end of Bactria, Sogdian Rock was a beacon awaiting our arrival.

The people of our litter rejoiced. The children danced around us, playing and running towards the fortress. Some of the elders collapsed upon their knees crying out in praise to their God above. Our band of survivors hurried along to reduce the space between us and the fortress.

The towers hovered over us, casting a shadow upon us. But didn't we already have the shadow of the past weighing heavily on us all?

As the doors of the fortress opened up to us, it came to mind that we weren't the only ones that were trying to survive during war. The fortress was already abundant with commoners and soldiers alike. Wounded men, women, and children were laid out in rows of makeshift cots along the walls as women tended to them. The casualties of war affected us all, even those not apart of it.

A holy man by the name of Dragan escorted us. Theti had told me before that a Macedonian holy man had searched for peace and a way to provide for his people. He had wandered around until he came upon Sogdian Rock Fortress in all its ruins. There he stayed, and even now as people poured into his home, he never abandoned them.