Chapter Five- Secrets

Sogdiana Rock

Kiro. He was here. He was alive. I couldn't believe it at all.

"Kiro, I thought you were dead," I let the words stumble from my mouth.

"I know how to blend in," he smirked.

I noticed his Macedonian armor was now discarded and replaced by Bactrian peasant clothing and dirtied skin. I had never seen Kiro like this, so vulnerable. A small smile was placed on my face.

"I needed to talk to you," he spoke while I nodded meekly.

"Come in and close the door behind you," and he did, walking towards me.

I felt thrilled that he was here, safe and sound. But I was not yet over about the fact that Kiro hated me. I thought he didn't want to talk to me ever again. I no longer knew what to think.

"It was wrong of me to judge you. You were only doing this for your own good and for your family's safety. I should've known that. I apologize,"

"Are you coming here to kill me? Finish the deed?" I blurted out before covering my mouth.

"What? No. I could not do that after knowing you," he said, taking my hand in his and looking into my eyes.

"Then what do you want, Kiro?" I questioned.

"To confess to you. Since you saved my life, I have wanted you. Wanted to know you, to be around you. But that has grown into something more. I have wanted you more. When I saw you as the Bactrian Princess, I knew I had to stay far from you if we both wanted to survive this. But as i thought more about it, I can't keep myself away form you. I need to spend every waking minute with you," Kiro confessed.

I was stunned. I had never expected this much from him. The look within his eyes was sincere this time. Butterflies began to burst within my stomach, setting off sparks for him. Yet, it was too good to be true. In a few days, I would be married off to a different Macedonian and leave Kiro behind forever.

"Kiro, I can't," I whimpered.

"Roxana,"

His voice was like honey and silk as he spoke my real name for the first time. Why was I getting such a satisfaction from that?

"Kiro I am to be married off in a matter of days. I can't go back on my father and mother's wishes," I said. Oh how I wished I could.

"It can always be a secret. No one has to know. I can take you away from here. Far away," he whispered.

"Kiro-,"

Before I could protest anymore, his precious lips were against mine with such passion. I could hardly comprehend it, I had never tasted a man on my lips and here I was, kissing Kiro, the man I desired more than anything.

His lips were molded to a perfect fit to mine as his arm encircled my waist, pressing my torso to his. His free hand became fisted into my hair, entangling his fingers through my dark locks as my pinned-up hair came undone. It was like all my anger and frustration melted away. I wrapped my arms around his neck, twirling his dark brown hair around my finger. Our bodies were perfect for each other.

"Kiro, we can't do this," I whispered in between kisses, my lips still pressed to his.

"Shh, just let this happen," Kiro whispered back, his lips leaving mine only to roam their way down to the nape of my neck. My breath hitched in the moment.

Crackk! Kiro and I both turned our heads to look at Theti, who stood within the doorway. The bowl of porridge she had once held was now splattered onto the cold floor with the bowl cracked in half. Her face was in horror and I guess so was I. I pushed Kiro away from me and stood up.