Chapter Thirty- Conquerors

A couple of hours had whisked by after the capture of King Porus. His large Indian army was now hanging on by a thread and at the mercy of Alexander. My wounded king now stood strong with Porus on his knees before him, his head dropped in defeat. My eyes never left my husband, concern for his wounds etched across my face. He is barely standing as it is. How long can he last on his feet, I thought in my head.

We stood surrounded by both armies, a circle created around Alexander, Porus, Ambhi, Perdiccas, Hephaiston, and I. Both armies were on bended knee and heads bowed awaiting the anticipated words from Alexander. All I heard was the harsh breathing of tired men, but everything else was a field of silence. Because many of them are dead, I thought.

"How do you wish to be treated, Porus?" Alexander responded sternly, grunting back the pain.

Porus lifted his head slowly, his old wise eyes meeting the blazing ones that belonged to my husband and king. With a strong voice, he spoke his words of truth that amazed us all.

"Like a king," was all that Porus said.

Alexander's expression changed from stern to something I rarely witnessed. Surprise. He looked at Porus stunned by his answer. Then, he smiled with pride.

Extending his hand to the defeated king, Alexander surprised us all by his mercy. Porus, who awaited his head to be severed, hesitantly raised his head to look at Alexander in confusion. Taking his hand, both kings were now standing face to face as equals. Holding onto each other's forearms, they looked at one another in understanding, king to king, man to man. But all I could notice was pain washing across Alexander's face as he tried to mask the agony he truly was in. But I noticed it.

"For your honest words, I offer you peace. If you and your people can commit to me being your ruler under terms of surrender, I will re-establish you as king regent in my absence, just as King Ambhi will. Your men will be unharmed, food in your belies, women in your bed, and land as long as you obey my commands. I ask only for your submission, to be able to trade with you, and to have your warriors at my disposal. Do you accept my demands?" Alexander speaks.

I stood back beside Perdiccas and Alexander's scribe. I looked at the scrawny man who held a feather in his hand, scribbling vigorously onto blank scrolls. I rarely saw this man before, possibly because he saw everything from afar while I was up front with my husband. But now, I saw words flowing from his inked feather, every word uttered from Alexander recorded. I smiled to myself. Alexander would be remembered like how he wanted.

"I accept," Porus answered, gratitude clearly visible on his old face.

"We shall celebrate!" Alexander announced and then Ambhi and Porus repeated the same words in their native tongues.

All the men cheered, laying down their arms and embracing one another as equals. In that moment, I was proud of my husband. He made a bold, risky choice in such an offer, but he followed his heart, something I rarely saw him do. He was becoming a wise king, one I knew his people will rejoice in having for ages to come.

Ambhi wrapped a chunky arms around Porus, walking ahead and discussing their alliances as if they never had any conflict with each other before. It was almost unbelievable how they acted like friends. Maybe they once were, I thought to myself. There were so many things unanswered in this strange kingdom.

"Arrgh!"

Turning around, I jumped forward to catch the wavering Alexander. His beautiful green eyes fluttered open and close as he fought the pain. He is getting worse, I worried. Wrapping one of his arms around my neck, I held him up and helped carry him off the battlefield and towards the castle. Hephaiston held onto his other arm as well, taking part of Alexander's weight on as if it were his own. Hephaiston pushed aside Alexander's armor and the cloth beneath it. Under the cloth, his wound bled deep and continuously. It was bad.