Chapter Nineteen- The Desert Queen

Above is Aquilo and Bucephalas

My eyes opened in the blinding sun slipping through the cracks of the poorly made house we were staying in. I shifted over, wanting to be closer to Alexander but instead I met the hard wall. I quickly sat up, finding myself back in the corner I was in last night when I settled in for the night. Had everything just been a dream? It must have been. Alexander would never agree to such negotiations with me anyway. I sighed in disappointment, standing and stretching. I fixed my sari, pulling a transparent red linen drape over my head. I then braided my hair to the one side before stepping out to see the army before me. 

I was surprised, yet a bit frightened to see the men standing before me, all of their eyes on me, no Alexander in sight. I gulped, searching for a familiar until I settled my gaze on Titus. He stood in the middle of the army, almost invisible. His small frame was shadowed by the muscular soldiers in armor surrounding him. But I was surprised to see him confident in his posture, his head held high in a firm manner. 

The men began to shuffle out of the way, creating a pathway. Once the path cleared, I saw Alexander, walking down the cleared path with all eyes watching him. For the first time since my capture, I saw a beautifully sculpted golden crown atop his messy head of brown curls. Behind me, Theti and Ebony trailed in elegant robes that looked to be imported from Greece. Alexander motioned for Ebony as she walked forward, holding the reins of two horses. One was Bucephalas, decked out in his war horse armor like the mighty black stallion he is. Beside him, was another horse the color of a beautiful dove descending from the heavens. I swore its ivory coating shimmered under the sunlight. This horse was in war armor as well, but in a much beautiful fashion as if it were to be paraded around. Ebony smiled once she reached me. 

"A gift from His Majesty to his queen. His name is Aquilo, for his swiftness in battle. His Majesty hopes this horse will serve you well beside him," Ebony said. I noticed by her wide smile, she was excited by this, for what, I didn't know. I would find out soon. 

Theti came next, bearing a crown that looked like leaves made from pure gold. I gasped at the sight, marveling its beauty. Slowly, Theti lifted the crown, placing it atop my head. It fit perfectly ontop of my red drape and raven black hair. 

Alexander looked up at me, holding out his sword, looking up into my eyes, "I don't wish for you to fight beside me, but I give you this army and my apart of my heart to command and do whatever you would like with. I do ask you to stay away from battle in the safety of watching afar, but you may appoint whoever you wish to guide your army, and you will make all the decisions of what they will do. I trust you, my Roxana. I make you my queen,"

I couldn't help but be shocked by his bold statement. Never would I had imagined he would listen to my requests. Slowly, I reached out, but instead of touching the blade or the hilt of the sword, I touched his hand. The shock that I felt sent a shiver up my spine. I looked to him wide eyed, seeing him have the same reaction I did. He felt it too, but instead he cast his gaze aside and the connection broke. 

"We must start to move out now, my queen," he turned to the swelling crowd of men  along with the harem of women, "Pack your things and strip down your tents, we will be leaving tomorrow morning," and he began to walk down the path whence he came. I called out, no hesitation in my decision. 

"Hephaiston,"

I watched him stop, turning to look at me questioningly. I repeated myself, this time more confident in my decision. 

"I want Hephaiston to be my general,"

"Very well," he responded, "Men resume your duties," with that, he went turning back and disappearing among his men.