Chapter Thirty Three- Queen of Savages

Alive by Sia

It's the perfect description of the endless battle Roxana has to face. 

Sloshing across the river, I patted the rump of Aquilo to quicken his pace. How blessed I was to be riding upon his back once more. Since arriving at Ambhi's palace, I had been too occupied to visit my companion. The moment I walked to his post within the Macedonian camp, he was swinging his head back and forth in sheer joy. 

Awaiting for me across the river was Alexander upon a chestnut mare. It was visible Alexander loathed riding another horse other than Bucephalas. But alas, a great king must have a horse as well. 

"Your presence is warming, my desert flower," Alexander said, his charm so upfront. 

"As is yours, my king," I so casually said, a small smile upon my lips. 

Although our relationship was on the mend, things were slowly getting better in our marriage. The more I was around him, the more I saw his emotions and the different sides of him, almost like looking at a painting for too long. I no longer saw what everyone else did. I now noticed the flaws and the secrets that laid beneath the surface. Over time, Alexander became more caring, more loving like a husband should be towards his wife. 

At the same time, I was becoming more accepting to his brute side. I knew now that in front of others, he had to instill fear into their hearts to get them to comply. In front of his men, he had to remain fearless and strong, both mentally and physically. He couldn't show his emotions while he was a conqueror and I was still learning to accept that. 

I smiled as I came up to him, Aquilo trotting up beside the mare. Together, we rode ahead to the new city in the process. The statue of Bucephalas was now fully erect and was a beautiful sculpture of the untamed beast. Along the riverside, sod homes were risen up from the ground. Huts lined the outskirts of the city in the process of building. Everything was beginning to fall into place. With a look of reassurance, Alexander left me to tend to other business. 

As I passed by diligent workers, they bowed before me and then resumed their previous work. Like my mother would, I would smile and nod my head in acknowledgment to show that I cared. The longer I was queen, the more I realized how much my mother's lessons were truly being used. 

As each man bowed before me, I scanned their faces, attempting to memorize each and every one of them. If I were to be a queen, I should at least know who my new people are. But as I passed Cassander barking out orders to those beneath him, I made eye contact with him. What didn't surprise me was his act of rebellious behavior. He did not bow for me. Instead, he smirked and held his head high in defiance. Nervousness seemed to shiver down my spine. His defiance made every man turn to look at me, all eyes focused on only me. 

I knew I had to do something about this. If I acted irrationally, I could cause problems with Cassander and I had no idea if he was a force to be reckoned with. If I ignored it, it would show my weakness to everyone. I could not be walked over by my own people. So this is why Alexander remains stern and emotionless, I thought, Just remain calm, cool, and content

"Cassander, why do you not bow your head like the others?" I asked, my eyes on him, unwavering. 

"Because I believe her majesty is not ready to be treated in such high respect," He sneered and from behind him, there were the gasps of other workers. 

"And why do you say such things? Have I done something to offend you?" I pressed on. 

Cleitus rose from construction, a smirk plastered upon his mouth as well before calling out among the laborers, "You are the queen of the savages,"