Chapter Four - Betrayal and Betrothal

Sogdiana Rock

I stood before bodies. Bodies of all nations. The Macedonians. The Bactrians. The Egyptians. The Greeks. The Babylonians. The Persians and many more I didn't even know. Their bones were beneath me, skulls being crushed under my feet. Fire was set upon the grasslands that surrounded the mounds of corpses and bones, the smoke filled air taunting my lungs. I looked down at my gown, drenched in blood. Whose, I didn't know.

A cloaked figure on a stallion approached me, the stallion striped and painted in human blood. I shrank back in fear, but a voice came to stop me.

"Do not be afraid," a male voice spoke in a hushed tone.

A gloved hand took my hand and slipped in it a piece of steel. I played with the steel in my hand before looking down. A dagger painted in gold. I looked up in fear.

"Finish the job and you can have your kingdom,"

Who I saw before me on his knees was Kiro, bound and bloodied. My hands shook while holding the dagger as I fumbled with it. The mysterious man was gone as I was shrouded in pitch black, only me and Kiro.

Why did I anticipate the death? Was it for my kingdom? My hatred for the Macedonians? Or was it the rage that clouded my mind?

"Please understand. It's for my kingdom," I stammered.

"As you wish, my Queen," Kiro had said his final words before bowing his head.

I raised the dagger above my head and pinched my eyes closed, refusing to look at him, my friend. The blade came down and the blackness engulfed us as one.
___________________________

Morning shined through the drapes that weren't doing their duty. With a sigh, I pulled myself from my bed groggily. I was still sleep deprived after a night overflowing with the terrors my dreams brought. Why had I dreamt such a terrible dream? Did this mean anything? I shook my head. I was thinking too much. I pulled back the drapes and Cassandra groaned as I allowed more light to pour into our chamber, a quilt was thrown over her head. I stifled a laugh and smirked at my little sister.

"Oh come on, deary! Move along! We haven't got all day to lay about!" Ilina, Cassandra's maid, cajoled.

"Uggh," Cassandra groaned again, rolling over.

I looked at Theti who scurried around to get our attire ready. She shrugged her shoulders and sighed before getting back to her chores. I rolled my eyes and said the only thing that would possibly get her up.

"I guess you don't want to spend quality time with Father," I said with a twirl of my hair.

"I forgot Father was back!" Cassandra squealed and hop out of bed like a rabbit. I smiled at her enthusiastic behavior, but it faded when I glanced out the window.

Hordes of corpses were being piled onto wagons and into wheel barrows. Not just those who died of infection or injury, but at least fifty Macedonians. All killed by Father's commands. I wondered if Kiro was somewhere on that pile leaving the fortress and I wondered where they would be dumping the bodies. Had they built trenches to stuff them in? Were they to build a funeral pyre? Or were their decaying bodies to be left in the open for vultures to feast on.

But I dared myself not to cry. I would regard Lazar's words and not cry. Crying was for the weak and the helpless. I would not be considered helpless. I turned back to my dear sister and gave her a sad smile.

"Father has some unfinished business in the common area. Why don't we join Mother for the afternoon until Father is done," I tried to make her understand. I knew death would scar her as it has scarred me.