Chapter Twenty One- Schemes and Vows

That morning we set from the camp and headed further east into unknown territory. I rode silently on the back of Aquilo, trying my best to hide myself from the eyes of Alexander. The scorching sun held no mercy on us, making me become drenched in sweat that poured down from my forehead. I heard he agonizing cries of a fallen horse. Looking back, Cleitus's stallion had collapsed in the dust. I watched Cleitus stroke his war horse, whispering soft promises to his stallion. Unshed tears threatened to streak my face as I saw him unsheath his sword, covering the eyes of his companion as he lifted the blade in the air. The blade came down swiftly, ending the life of the stallion. Cleitus arose, and took the horse of a lower ranked warrior. I felt sorry for Aquilo, who heaved with every step he took and I worried for his own life. I leaned down, whispering to him. 

"We will stop soon, I know we will. Hold on, Aquilo,"

"Who are you?" Hephaiston pondered as he rode beside me. Panic arose quickly and began to set into my skin. 

"Philotas," I quickly stammered. 

"That is amusing because Philotas is a Macedonian name and by the color of your skin, you are not of Macedonian descent. So I ask again, who are you?"

"It's the truth. My father wedded an Egyptian girl. I inherited my mother's appearance, but also my father's name," I lied through my teeth.

"Your father was Philotas of Macedonia?" Hephaiston gaped before hollering to behind him, "Alexander!" he called. 

My heart seemed to have dropped into my stomach. I didn't even know there was another Philotas. It was the only Macedonian name I could remember that wasn't apart of the army already. I had rarely met any Macedonians in my lifetime. I heard the sound of Bucephalas whinnying and the approaching Alexander. I gulped nervously, keeping my head down. 

"Yes?" Alexander replied. 

"This boy is the son of Philotas. Do you remember that poor bastard?"

"Ah yes. The moment he turned twenty he went off to war and never saw him again. I remember him teaching me to fight as a boy. He was a good man and such a dear friend," Alexander recalled, "But I do't remember us ever picking up his son, nor ever seeing on horseback in battles. Where did you get such a horse?"

"I came along when we visited Egypt, this horse was a gift I had received from a fallen warrior," I kept pulling myself deeper into the pit of lies, wondering if I would ever get out of this deception. 

Slowly, Alexander nodded his head, "I see. No matter, we need to journey on. We will only stop once we reach civilization," he said, pushing Bucephalas forward with Hephaiston by his side, leaving me behind and alone. 

I breathed a sigh of relief, nudging Aquilo to go faster. We trudged up the hills, the heat scorching my skin. To get my mind off of the heat, I watched Alexander from afar. He looked terrifying, yet strikingly handsome. I watched him speaking with Hephaiston, his eyes twinkling as he spoke. I sensed something strange as they spoke upon their horses. Hephaiston's hand reached out, brushing Alexander's arm tenderly. I tilted my head to the side, observing everything happening between them; their subtle glances into each other's eyes, the way both of their mouth were turned slightly upwards, the way Hephaiston graze Alexander's skin. It made my heart ache in a way I never knew it could. Something was there between them, I just knew it. 

Alexander's P.O.V.

 "I see. No matter, we need to journey on. We will only stop once we reach civilization," I said to the unknown soldier, trudging ahead with Hephaiston out of earshot from the soldiers. Once we were further away, I turned to Hephaiston.