Chapter Thirty-Seven - Downhill From Here On..

❇Riley❇

I looked over to Ryan as he we texting away on his phone, my mind is going a mile a minute. I jumped slightly when I heard the nurse called my name.

"You want me to go with you?" Ryan started to get up out his sit but I stopped him.

"I'm good,"

We came to the doctor to find out that since I am having the baby, how long do I have after that? I was terrified to find out that answer.

When I got back to the examination room, the nurse started to make small talk. "Is this your first baby?"

I nodded.

"You must be excited!"

"I am,"

She wrote a few things on her chart and smiled in my direction. "The doctor will be with you soon,"

When she left out the room, I rubbed my face in frustration but like clockwork, my phone started to ring.

It was Drake trying to facetime me..

I stared at it until it didn't ring anymore and decided to call him normally.

"Why didn't you pick up?"

I looked around. "I was sleep,"

"Ryan said you two were at the store,"

"He didn't tell me," I thought. "I was asleep in the car,"

There was a pause.

"O..kay, I was calling to hear your voice, I miss you,"

I smiled. "Aww, I miss you too,"

"Well, Riley, how are you doing?" Dr. Ali walked in.

"Who is that?" Drake asked as soon as the doctor said something.

I shook my head. "No one, I'll call you later, okay? Bye," I hung up the phone quickly.

"Sorry about that," I looked up at Dr. Ali.

He nodded. "So, how are you?"

I thought for a moment. "Surprisingly well, just normal pregnancy symptoms like morning sickness and craving,"

"So you decide to keep it?"

I fiddled with my fingers. "Yeah, what is going to happen to me?"

"Well," he cleared his throat. "Since the cancer is back, it could spread as fast as the child grows so it would not be possible to go to full term. We could take the child out at six months and try to get the cancer out right after but if by then it spreads to the point where it's too much to remove, radiation treatment is the only hope,"

-------

*Two months later*

"Gently brush the dye on the ends of the hair," my instructor, LaToya told the class. "If you use the wide brush, sitting on the left side of you, you will get more coverage,"

I dipped my brush into the dye and did as she said.

"What color are you using?" one of my classmates, Rachel, looked over at my workspace and at my mannequin head.

"Since my hair is black, I'm using blonde,"

She nodded agreeably. "Great choice,"

"Okay class, after you have done that, wrap it up in aluminum foil, just on the ends though," Ms. LaToya held her mannequin head up. "It should look like this when you're done,"