Chapter Eight - Life Is Full of Choices

❇Riley❇

“I wouldn't say that's the reason behind the stuff I do but I don't think it did contribute to it,” I explained my situation to Drake as we sat in the park, eating some food he got from Burger King. “Now you probably think I'm crazy,”

“I thought that before but that's beside the point.” Drake chuckled. “I'm sorry you had to go through that shit so young or at all,”

I shrugged. “It happens, what about you? What's your deal?”

He just shook his head. “Nothing. I'm just me,”

“And?”

“I'm Jewish and black, what do you want me to say?” he started to get a bit defensive.

From how he just came at me, I knew there was something else but I didn't say anything more.

“You know,” I started to say. “It's nice to have someone to talk to,”

He looked at me and burst out laughing.

“What?”

“It's weird that you tryin' to be all genuine and shit,”

I just fanned him off before getting up.

Drake looked confused but got the message when I sat on the swing.

“I used to sit on this swing all the time when I was little,” I pushed myself a little. “The day after the second foster family brought me back, I ran here.” I smiled, looking at the ground.

“See, I knew you wasn't that mean,” he sat on the one beside it.

I rolled my eyes. “Boy, I am not mean! I just don't show people the real me,”

“So, what are you going to do about a actual job now? Won't you get in trouble?” Drake looked at me with concern.

I shrugged. “Yeah, I have to talk to my worker tonight,” my phone started to vibrate. I got it out my back pocket and saw it was a text from Antwan.

‘I have to be at work soon,’ I read.

Then, I thought up a good reply. ‘At the diner working overtime, see you in the morning,’

I didn't think it was a good time to tell him I got fired...don't feel like explaining why right now.

“Do you think you could take me somewhere?” I asked him as he looked at his phone as well.

He looked up. “Yeah, where?”

--------

“Are you sure this is the place?” Drake asked as soon as he parked.

I rolled my eyes. “Yes, I practically grew up here!”

We were outside the group home because I really did need to talk to Ms. Sharon, and I didn't want to risk running into Antwan so I thought it was best to come see her in person.

I got out the car and went for the front door. I knocked twice before the door flew open.

“Hi!” Sabrina smiled at me.

“Why did you open the door?” I questioned, making sure I closed the door behind me.

She just shrugged. “I saw you walk up to the door.”

“Is Ms. Sharon here?”

“Yup, she's in the kitchen,” then she ran in the back.

It was weird to think that I haven't lived here for two months. Yeah, I shared a room with three other girls and a house with almost fifthteen other people but I loved it and it was a place that I could always call home. Since I knew this place like the back of my hand, I walked straight into the kitchen.

When I got in the kitchen, I saw Ms. Sharon talking to another worker. She looked at me and kept talking so I just sat at the table. After she got through with her conversation, she sat in the chair across from me.

“Well, what happen?”

“My manager was a bitch! I actually did something good!” I defend myself.

She sighed. “Rye, what are you going to do now? That was your only means of income,”

Riight...

“I don't know,” I slouched in the chair. I am so over this conversation.

“That is not a good enough answer, you either find out what you are going to do or I will have no choice to report you.” she got up from her chair.

That's it, she broke me.

“No! You wouldn't do that, would you?” I walked to her.

She held me shoulders. “Riley, it's my job. And you know how much I love you but-”

I snatched away from her. “Your just like everybody else,”

I ran through the house and out the door, thankfully Drake was still there. When I got in the car, nothing was said and it didn't need to be. Somehow, he just knew I didn't want to say anything.

$Drake$

I watched Riley as she looked out the window. I wanted to say something but I knew that I shouldn't.

“Can we please get out of here?!” she yelled as her voice cracked.

So, I put the car in gear and drove back to my house.

------

When we got back to my house, I told Riley that I was going to have some friends over but not too many. Riley sat on the couch, with her legs to her chest and her arms folded on her knee.

I looked at her before walked to the bar and pouring two glasses of Hennessey.

“Here,” I handed her a glass.

And in a few gulps, it was gone.

I stood there, in complete shock, wondering what I should to next. Thankfully, I door bell rug. Maybe being around other people will make it better...let's hope.

********************

And .... You might be wrong..

Hello yo! (Sorry that this is late, winter storm came through and there was ice everywhere so school was closed.(I wasn't going to go to school anyways so this was perfect!))

I hope you like this chapter!

I have never wrote a book where the build up is so intense (to me)

You know what to do if you like it..

-MsDebbraGraham✌✌✌