Chapter 7

'Dragon.'

Blue and green eyes fluttered open, then squeezed shut as a groan slipped through dry lips. Her head throbbed, it felt as though her head was being crushed. She opened her eyes again and rose to her elbows taking in her surroundings as a familiar soft voice sounded from next to her bed she had now realized she was laying in.

"Be still my child, rushing yourself will not fair you well." Her mother gently forced her to lay down smiling at her motherly.

"Mother, w-what happened? I-I remember the gardens with Legolas, then my head I-" 

Ruive remembered her vision, the flames, the heat, the roar, the screams. She remembered the village to be one she had visited before. Dusthorn. Last time she had been to Dusthorn she was slaying her first dragon. At first she thought the visions to be memories, but then the first dragon she slew was male, this one was female and a fire drake. 

"I saw a dragon." 

Ruive looked to her mother pleading for answers with her eyes.

Vana took her daughter's hand, giving it a comforting squeeze. 

"What did you see Ru." 

She spoke to her as if she were asking a child of a nightmare, but then again the situation was not far off.

"I saw Dusthorn devoured in fire, I felt the flames on my skin, I heard the people's screams as they ran from their houses, I saw the shadow and heard its roar, I saw a dragon." 

Ruive watched her mother waiting for her to speak.

"Ru, what you saw was what is to come to," 

Vana paused allowing her words to sink in to her confused daughter. 

"What you have is what our people call 'dragon sight', my ancestor the first of our kind had your gift. You've the ability to foresee dragon attacks before they happen, you've the ability to save many lives."

Ruive gulped already feeling this new responsibility weigh on her shoulders. 

"How will I know when the dragon will attack? All I could see were its features, it was a female firedrake and had not the markings of a juvenile, twas fully grown I'm certain."

"When your strength returns you will ride to Dusthorn, legends say that those with dragon sight could feel a dragon's presence, search the surrounding mountains, if luck prevails you'll find the dragon before it attacks, if not then wait at Dusthorn and listen to your senses you will know when the dragon will come." 

With that, Vana placed a gentle kiss on her daughter's forehead. She rose from her spot and began toward the door, she turned to her daughter and said 

"I shall inform the others that you are awake and well, Legolas has been asking of you constantly since he brought you back."

"He has?" 

Ruive had now moved to a seated position and let her legs hang off the side of the bed groaning internally when she saw her nightgown on. She never wore it when she slept, she would wear a pair of lose fitting pants and a tunic, if she was attacked at night she was going to be certain she would not be disadvantaged by some nightgown.

"Yes, he and your sister have grown rather restless." 

Vana smiled at the love she could tell Legolas felt for her eldest daughter, she was much like Tauriel when it came to the two of them.

"Well perhaps it's best we put their minds ease that I am well."

Ruive nodded to the door silently telling her mother to go get them.