Chapter 42

Ruive stood out on the balcony of Bard's house she watched as a shadow flew over Laketown. She stumbled back inside, her leg was still weak but she could not sit around and wait for it to heal.

"We have to leave, now." Ruive rushed gathering what supplies she could along with the dwarves. 

"We're not leaving. Not without our father." Bain protested.

"Bain listen to me, you have to get your sisters out of her, it is your job to protect them now. And it is my job to protect you. Your father will be alright."

Bain looked torn, but nodded and helped get everything into the boat at the bottom of their house.

They rowed the boat down the canal watching as Smaug soared high above the city before diving, his chest alight with fire.

"Watch out!" Bain shouted as their boat collided with the Master's boat.

They managed to push their boats apart and continue down the canal, unaware of Bard's escape from prison. As they rowed through the burning town, Bain looked up to see his father on top of the bell tower shooting the dragon that had little effect.

"Da!" Bain shouted.

"DA!" Tilda screamed trying to get his attention.

Bard shot another arrow, hitting Smaug but caused no damage. 

"He hit it! He hit the dragon!" Kili shouted.

"No..." Ruive whispered, 'Bard, what are you doing?'

"He did! He hit his mark, I saw!" Kili shouted.

"Those arrows are like twigs against a dragon's hide, without a black arrow it is hopeless." Ruive said her eyes never leaving Bard. 'The black arrow!'

Ruive turned to Bain who was still watching her father in panic. 

"Bain, the black arrow, where is it?"

Bain looked at her catching on to her plan. 

"The boat in front of the statue."

"Look after your sisters, I'll bring your father back I promise." Ruive said looking Bain in the eye. 

The boy nodded shakily and Ruive patted his shoulder. She turned in time to see a hook hanging over the canal, her face determined. As the boat passed under the hook Ruive reached up and grabbed hold swinging onto the docks. The dwarves grabbed at Ruive, but missed and began yelling after her. 

"What are you doing?!"

"Come back! Ruive, come back!"

Ruive ran along the docks headed towards the boat that held the black arrow.

"Ruive!"

"Bard!" Ruive shouted climbing to the top of the bell tower. 

"Ruive?! What are you doing?! Where are my children?!" Bard shouted over the sounds of the burning city.

"There safe, and I came to make sure you are going to see them again." 

"How? Nothing can stop him."

"That's why I came prepared." Ruive grinned despite the circumstances and held up the black arrow.

Bard was about to reply, but Smaug had figured out where the arrows had been coming from. Smaug flew crashing into the top of the bell tower.

"Look out!" Bard shouted pushing Ruive down. 

Smaug smashed through the top of the tower sending debris flying everywhere. A thick piece of wood collided with Bard's forehead who fell to the floor in slight unconsciousness.