Chapter 28

"They must have come down from the Ettenmoors." Gandalf said examining the troll statues. 

Ruive walked over having heard Gandalf.

"Since when do mountain trolls venture this far south?" Thorin asked.

Ruive stood between the two a concerned look on her face. 

"Not for an age, not since a darker power ruled these lands." She said looking at Gandalf.

"They could not have moved in daylight." Gandalf stated looking around.

"There must be a cave nearby." Thorin added. "Spread out, find the cave!"

The company moved through the forest searching for a cave. Ruive walked ahead following her nose more than anything. She walked towards a cluster of rocks where the scent was strongest. She found herself standing before a cave, flies and other insects swarming around the opening. Ruive covered her nose with the back of her hand turning her head away.

"Over here!" She called.

"Oh, what's that stench?!" Nori said as they made their way deeper into the hoard.

"It's a troll hoard. Be careful what you touch." Gandalf warned.

Ruive, Thorin and Gandalf went further towards the back of the cave, looking for anything of use. The other dwarves however were more interested in the gold.

"Seems a shame just to leave it lyin' around. Anyone could take it." Bofur pointed out kicking some with his foot.

"Agreed. Nori, get a shovel." Gloin said nodding to the dwarf.

Thorin moved over to a pile of sword covered in cobwebs, Gandalf followed him looking curiously at the swords.

"These swords were not made by any troll." Thorin stated.

Gandalf blew some of the dust off the hilt.

"Nor were they made by any smith among men." 

He removed the blade from the sheath slightly to see the blade. 

"These were forged in Gondolin by the High Elves of the First Age."

Thorin immediately begins to put the sword back only to be stopped by Gandalf.

"You could not wish for a finer blade."

Thorin draws the blade much like Gandalf had done before reluctantly taking the sword.

While Gandalf and Thorin were inspecting the sword, Ruive was searching at the far end of the cave. As she looked between the gold and the cobwebs, she found something wrapped in a black piece of cloth. Curiously she picked up the cloth and unwrapped it to reveal two curved almost tear drop shaped blades. She had seen these in many books about wars from the First Age, they were elvish blades that worked similar to throwing knives. Ruive attached the blades to the back of her belt, the blade were incredibly light and she was eager to test them out. She turned around and started to head to the entrance of the cave walking past Bofur, Nori, and Gloin who were burying a chest of gold. Dwalin was standing to the side looking at the other dwarves disapprovingly.

"We're makin' a long term deposit." Gloin justified.

Thorin and Gandalf turned and followed Ruive. 

"Let's get out of this foul place. Come on, let's go. Bofur! Gloin! Nori!"

Ruive climbed out of the hoard breathing the fresh air. She moved over to a boulder a little way away from the company. She reached behind her and drew the two tear blades, she swung them around her fingers and twirled them like she did her daggers. She admired the balance and the way they handled.

"What are those?" Came a voice behind her.

Ruive turned to see a curious looking Kili. 

"The elves call them tear blades."

"How do they work?" Kili was staring at the blades in awe.

Ruive looked from the blades to the tree opposite them, with a quick flick of her wrists the blade were lodged in the bark. Ruive smirked quite happy with how the blades worked. Kili however had a look of amazement on his face. He was about to say something when Ruive's head snapped towards the trees.

"Do you here that?" She asked. 

Not waiting for a reply took the blades from the tree before jogging over to the others. 

"Something's coming!" She called

"Stay together! Hurry now. Arm yourselves." Gandalf ordered moving over to the company.

The sound became louder and the dwarves drew their weapons.

"Thieves! Fire! Murder!"