Chapter 17

Ruive's steps were almost silent as she briskly walked to the throne room. Only moments ago she had been training with Legolas and Tauriel when an elf guard came informing her that Thranduil requests her presence. This had made her curious, she hadn't many encounters with Thranduil since the attack, mainly keeping to herself aside from Legolas and Tauriel. 

Ruive arrived at the top of the stairs before the throne, her path blocked by two guards who let her pass when she told them of her business here. The guards turned to their king, who simply waved a slender hand and they left, leaving Ruive and Thranduil alone. Silence followed, Ruive waited for Thranduil to speak fiddling with her fingers behind her back. When he said nothing she spoke.

"You sent for me, my Lord?" Thranduil rose from his throne and descended down the step with grace that Ruive could never hope to master.

"Yes. Firstly I wish to offer my sincerest condolences to you and Tauriel, I too know the pain of losing a loved one." 

Thranduil bowed his head and placed a hand over his heart, showing Ruive that he was truly was sorry. Ruive knew of the death of his wife, Legolas' mother and knew that he was truly sympathetic and could empathize with her of the pain of losing someone so close to you. Thranduil may have his distaste towards dwarves and even half-bloods, but he was not so cruel as to wish such a brutal death on them or the other races (including some elves) that resided in their kingdom.

Ruive swallowed, the pain of loss was still tender to her heart. 

"Thank you, my Lord. I am forever indebted to you for your kindness and the refuge you have given Tauriel and myself." 

Ruive gave a nod of respect to Thranduil, she was deeply grateful for the generosity he had shown despite his cold nature, though Ruive believed that Legolas had something to do with that. 

"It was the least I could do, you and Legolas are to be wed and the Greenwood will become your home." 

Thranduil's cold demeanor returned as he stood at his full height towering above Ruive. If Ruive was anybody else, she would have felt intimidated.

"But my Lord, the marriage between Legolas and I was arranged for capital gain. I have no kingdom or dowry to offer, just myself." 

To say Ruive was shocked by Thranduil still going through with the marriage was an understatement. 

"Are you saying you have no love for Legolas?" Thranduil questioned

"No my Lord, I love Legolas with all my heart and would happily wed him someday, but I would think that Legolas would marry someone who has something to offer to the kingdom. I do not." 

Ruive was growing anxious and curious at the same time. Out of everyone, it was Thranduil who was against the marriage the most even when she had a whole kingdom to offer, now she has nothing.

"What you say is true," 

There's the cold-hearted Thranduil. 

"But Legolas loves you just as you love him, and for many years I have tried to arrange a marriage with him but I was unable to find a suitable bride that he would agree to marry. Until he met you. I have spoken with Legolas and he has refused to revoke the marriage despite your lack of value to the kingdom financially, however Legolas has pointed out the potential value you hold to the kingdom's well-being." Thranduil spoke, his voice monotone and serious, a dead give away that this was Legolas' decision and stubbornness.

"And what might that be, my Lord?" Ruive inquired, she herself was yet to find her usefulness to Thranduil.

"Your skills in battle, according to Legolas are beyond the skill of even my finest warriors." Thranduil paused.

"I am flattered my Lord." 

Ruive held back a smile hearing what Legolas thought of her, and also the satisfaction of knowing that she - a woman - was better than all the elves of the royal guard.

"Because of this, I summoned you here to make you an offer, a distraction if you will." 

Thranduil folded his hands behind his back before continuing. 

"The Captain of the guard, has recently resign for personal reasons. I asked Legolas to suggest a new captain, he believes that you are the best suited for the position."

Ruive was beyond shocked now, Legolas wanted to make her the captain of the guard. 

"My Lord, whilst I am greatly flattered, I do believe that I am in no position to Captain the Guard."

"Legolas believes that you are in need of a distraction, he believes that this will be the best one for you. Tauriel of course will be offered a position as part of the guard, but the position of Captain, should you choose to accept, will go to you." 

Thranduil waited patiently for Ruive to absorb everything he just said. Ruive weighed up her options. She could either decline and spend the rest of her time wallowing in herself pity, or she could accept and not let another kingdom fall  to its demise. She took a deep breath, gathering her confidence before meeting Thranduil's eyes. 

"I would be honored to be Captain of the Guard, my Lord."

Thranduil nodded. 

"Very well, it's settled then. You will be the new captain and you will report to me regularly and follow the orders I give." 

There's the catch Ruive had been waiting for. She had full intentions of taking the guard to the old fortress where the spiders were spawning from and wipe it out, but Thranduil would never allow such an endeavor. They were to not engage anything beyond their borders. 

"As you wish, my Lord." 

With that Ruive bowed and turned on her heal swiftly leaving the room. 

Yay another chapter! Things are finally starting to get moving, only a few more chapters before I start writing Ruive's role in the events of the hobbit, I am speeding it along the best I can whilst still trying to show everything going on through Ruive's head. I chose to write this in third person so I could show what everybody's thinking but my main focus is on Ruive's actions and emotions seeing as the story is based around her. Warning you now, chapters during the hobbit will be based on the movies (because it's easier for me to remember what's going on, and Legolas is in the movies) and may take longer to be published as I will have to refresh my memory on occasion. Oh, right just have to put this out there... *clears throat* AAAHHHHHHHHHH OVER 600 READS!!!!!!! That may not seem like much to some but this is my first fan fiction and it hasn't been up for that long so I'm uber excited. Still waiting on comments about it so far and what you guys want to happen in future events (eg when do you want first kisses/confessions of feelings/Ruive to get hurt possibly). Cheers guys!!