Chapter 12

Ruive watched on with sadness as Legolas and his elves prepared the horses. She thought how such a quiet life changed so quickly, it was only yesterday that they had been wandering the gardens as they often did. However, when they returned to the castle the peace in their lives came crashing down. The Greenwood was plagued by giant spiders and the kingdom needed their king and their mightiest warrior which happened to be Legolas. So now here they stood, minds burdened by what the future might hold for both of them. 

Ruive stood leaning her weight on the post her right foot on the ground and her left leg bent so her foot too rested on the post, arms crossed lazily in front of her and indecipherable expression etched on her features. She had offered her assistance to Legolas, but he had kindly refused insisting she stay and defend her own home he was confident that the elves could handle it and he would return to her before she knows it. But even with his confidence, it could not suppress the uneasy feeling they both felt in their hearts. 

Ruive was so lost in her thoughts that she did not notice Legolas standing in front of her until he rubbed his warm hands up and down her tensed biceps. 

"What ails you, Ru?" 

Legolas' concerned blue eyes searched her's.

Ruive let out a deep sigh shaking her head softly before meeting his gaze. 

"Everything. You're going to fight an invasion and you deny my help and tell me to worry not, what else am I to do with what time I will waste here when I could be helping you?" 

Her pent up frustration seethed from her body, right now she wanted nothing more than to scream and beat something, but she kept her control.

"The duty to defend my kingdom is my own-"

Ruive cut him off. 

"And what of my duty to you?" 

Ruive stared at Legolas, jaw clenched and face strong. She wanted to help him, she was not some pathetic maiden who would wait by the window praying for his safe return. No. She would be fighting by his side ensuring he came home, not holding to hope. In her eyes, hope didn't get things done. If she'd hope for Legolas' return, then she would make sure it happened.

"It is my duty to my heart to know you are safe, here you are safe." 

Legolas did his best to plead with her, but one thing he had learnt in the year that he had know her was she is a dwarf by blood and was stubborn as anything. There was no way he was winning this argument.       

"Legolas I fight dragons for Mahal's sake, you think I cannot hold my own against a few over-sized bugs? I am safer fighting along side you, I will know you're safe and I can protect you and your kingdom. Please, let me help." 

Ruive had pushed herself off the post and placed a hand on Legolas' shoulder, looking deep into his eyes searching for a sign that he would give in.

"I- Alright, just promise me you won't doing anything reckless? I cannot lose you."

Ruive smiled and leaned up to press a soft kiss to Legolas' lips, pulling back only a little to whisper; 

"You will never lose me Legolas."

Ok really short I know but I wanted to get something up at least and I'm trying to speed this only to the important parts and you know get to the Kili love story part. I start holidays tomorrow arvo *initiate happy dance* and will hopefully be updating a heck of a lot over the holidays. Big thank you to all the reads and votes so far really appreciate it and would love some feedback and opinions from you guys. Oh and telling you now, I promise to never do an update that is and author's note, any stuff from me will be at the bottom cause I'd hate to get people's hopes up only to crush them with an author's not and to be honest they're really annoying. Anyway, I should have the next chapter up on the weekend, stay awesome!!