Chapter 44

Thorin had ordered a wall of stone be built to barricade the entrance to Erebor, fear of his mountain being taken from him heavy on his mind.

"I want this fortress made safe by sunup. This mountain was hard won - I will not see it taken again." Thorin hissed.

Kili stopped and looked at his uncle with a degree of shock. 

"The people of Laketown have nothing. They came to us in need. They have lost everything."

"Do not tell me what they have lost. I know well enough their hardship. Those who have lived through dragonfire should rejoice. They have much to be grateful for." Thorin proclaimed looking out to the survivors living in Dale. 

He turned to the dwarves and Ruive, who was biting her tongue.

"More stone! BRING MORE STONE TO THE GATE!"

Ruive sighed heaving a large piece of stone to the gate. She looked out to Dale, guilt invading her mind. If she had only killed Smaug when she first met him, none of this would have happened, she failed to kill him three times and so many paid with their lives.

"If you know their hardship, then why not give them the kindness that you were denied? They were not the ones to turn their back on you, do not turn your back on them." Ruive pleaded looking down slightly at Thorin who looked back at her with a dark gaze.

"What help did they offer when we retook the mountain? They demanded a share so we could reclaim what is my birthright!" Thorin growled pointing his finger towards Dale.

Ruive raised her hands slightly. 

"I only offer my advise, a path that will avoid war." Ruive spoke calmly.

"I do not need advise from you, sargh!" (filth) Thorin spat. 

The other Dwarves looked on with shock and repulse, they realized Thorin had no honour left in him, his mind was consumed by gold.

---------------------------------------------

Thorin marched to the blocked gate of Erebor, calling the others to him

"Come on!"

The Dwarves exchanged their tools for weapons and made their way up the stairs to the balcony to see Bard come riding towards them on a horse.

"Hail Thorin, son of Thrain! We are glad to find you alive beyond hope." Bard greets, his eyes catching Ruive's who nodded and tweaked a smile. 

"Why do come to the gates of the king under the mountain armed for war?" Thorin inquired seeing the army of elves positioned in Dale.

"Why does the king under the mountain fence himself in? Like a robber in his hole." Bard countered.

"Perhaps it is because I am expecting to be robbed."

"My lord - We have not come to rob you, but to seek fair settlement. Will you not speak with me?" Bard asked, hoping they would come to an arrangement and prevent further death.

Thorin nodded and walked down the stairs to the gate. Bard dismounted his horse and crossed the bridge to the gate, as he approached, a black raven flew out of the opening cawing loudly and flying away. Bard walked up to a small whole and bent down slightly to look in it as Thorin strides up to the other end.

"I'm listening."

"On behalf of the people of Laketown, I ask that you honor your pledge. A share of the treasure so that they might rebuild their lives." Bard pleaded.

"I will not treat with any man while an armed host lies before my door." Thorin denied. 

"That armed host will attack this mountain, if we do not come to terms." Bard warned.