Chapter 46

This chapter has a song with it, but don't start it until you get to the bit that say to start it, it sets the tone sort of and it was the song I had in my head while writing this chapter.

Kili fought through the ruins with rage, killing any orc that dare come near him. His brother had been murdered before his eyes and he wanted revenge. In the back of his mind Kili could hear the faint voice of Ruive desperately calling for him, but he was to lost in his rage to respond. Every swing of his sword was impulsive and brutal, for every swing he made, was one closer to Azog.

Ruive ran up the ramparts following the sounds of battle that echoed through the ruins. As she leaped up the stairs, the sounds of swords and grunts grew louder until she burst through an archway to find Kili struggling under the heavy blows of Bolg. She drew her sword and charged at Bolg with a battle cry throwing herself at Bolg and sending them rolling on the ground. Bolg was quick to jump to his feet and made an attack on Ruive who rolled out of the way. She pushed off her shoulders and kicked herself to her feet and blocked Bolg's sword. 

Kili by now had recovered and ran at Bolg and Ruive who were blocking and attacking each other in a flurry of movements. Kili swung at Bolg who managed to fight off both of them using his size and strength to his advantage. With a great amount of force, Bolg pushed Kili to the ground who slid backwards along the icy surface, he then blocked Ruive's sword from above. Ruive pushed down as hard as she could on Bolg's sword but he was too strong, instead she reached down and pulled out one of her knives and tried to stab Bolg. Just as the blade came close to Bolg's skin, he gripped her hand and forced the knife into her thigh.

Ruive cried out in pain and crumpled to the ground, just as Bolg was about to finish her Kili ran forward and tackled Bolg who spun around hearing him coming.

"No!" Ruive screamed. 

She watched as Bolg rolled off of Kili, his blade dripping with fresh crimson blood. Kili lay on the ground, clutching his stomach as blood seeped through his fingers and stained the snow around him, his breath was light and shaky.

Ruive pulled the knife from her thigh, grimacing, and threw it at Bolg who raised his sword to block it giving Ruive enough time to get up. Stumbling she ran and swung her sword at him, slashing him across the shoulder. Bolg only growled and swung his sword violently at Ruive who stumbled back towards the ledge, each block getting sloppier as her leg struggled to hold her up. Bolg swung down hard on her and knocked her sword from her hands, he raised it again but Ruive spun under his arm and jumped on his back and pushed her feet off the ruins sending them tumbling to the lower levels.

Ruive landed on a ledge and pushed Bolg further down, the air stolen from her lungs. Faintly she heard the voice of Legolas called her name as Bolg climbed up the rocks to her. Ruive turned her head to see Legolas knocking down a tower with a troll and run towards her and Bolg. Legolas charged with Orcrist in his hand at Bolg drawing his attention away from a barely conscious Ruive.

Ruive groaned and squeezed her eyes shut and blinked them open again. She breathed deeply, sucking air back into her lungs as she pushed herself to her feet.

(Start song here)

"Kili." She whispered as she looked up to the ledge she and Bolg had fallen from. 

With knew found strength she climbed back up the ruins desperate to reach Kili in time.

Kili coughed and spluttered, blood staining his lips as he held his hand against the hole in his stomach, he knew he did not have long left. When he tackled Bolg, the orc's blade had pierced his stomach as they rolled and it left no small wound.

"Kili?" Ruive's voice was a whisper as she fell to her knees at his side. 

She gasped in horror as she saw the severity of his wound. 

"Ru-Ruive." Kili coughed

"No sh sh shhh, it's alright it's alright. I can heal you, I-I can save you." Ruive pressed her hand over Kili's wound, the blood smearing over her palm.

Kili gently pushed her hand away. 

"Don't it's over, please j-just stay with me."

Ruive pressed her lips together trying not to cry but the tears fell freely down her face. 

"I'm not leaving you, and you can't leave me, not like this." 

Ruive gently lifted his head into her lap and stroked his cheek with her thumbs, her warm tears dripping onto his face.

"I n-need you to know that... that I love you with all my heart. But I know you could never have loved me... the way you loved him." Kili coughed more blood on his lips as he tried his hardest to speak. 

Ruive placed her forehead against his and with a shaky breath whispered. 

"I love you, you showed me how to love after I locked my heart away... I would have stayed with you in Erebor."

Ruive leaned down and pressed her lips to Kili's in a desperate and passionate kiss, Kili used what little strength he had to return it knowing this would be the last time their lips would touch.

Ruive pulled back the slightest as more tears cascaded her cheeks. Kili slowly raised his hands and lightly brushed the tears from her cheek.

With his last breath he whispered; "I know I was not your first love, but I would have loved to be your last..."

"Kili?" Ruive whimpered as she raised her head to look at him. 

Eyes that were once so full of life, were now closed forever, never to look back into hers. Ruive let out a scream, all her pain, grief, and anguished ripped from her throat. Legolas by now had killed Bolg and returned in search of Ruive hoping she was alright, but when he saw he clutching Kili's lifeless body to her as she shook with sobs, he wanted to take her in his arms and hold her and be there for her. But all he could do was watch as she poured out all her pain in broken sobs. Legolas slowly walked towards her and lightly placed his hand on her shoulder.

"I'm so sorry." 

Was all he could say.   

Oh... My... God I actually teared up writing this chapter. And the song just made it soooo much worse, but then again I find this song beautiful and just felt as though it should be in this chapter. Tell me what you think please... I am sorry for any turmoil I may have put you through.