Chapter 39

"Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world it festers and spreads, a shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was; so will it always be. In time, all foul things come forth." Thranduil said as he paced around the orc that an elf soldier held on the ground.

"You were tracking a company of fourteen. Why?" Legolas demanded standing with his arms folded across his chest across from the orc. 

"Not fourteen; not any more. The Dragon Slayer, we stuck her with a Morgul shaft." Looking at Legolas who did his best to mask his worry.

"The poison's is in her blood. She'll be choking on it soon." The orc grinned. 

"Answer the question, filth." Legolas snapped.

"Sha hakhtiz khunai-go!" [I do not answer to dogs!] The orc spat. 

The elf holding the orc pushed him a little, digging his knives into his skin. 

Legolas whipped his blades out holding them threateningly. 

"You like killing things, orc? You like death? Then let me give it to you!"

Legolas moved forward to kill the orc but the voice of his father stopped him.

"Farn! Legolas, ego! Gwao hi." [Enough! Legolas, leave! Go now.]

The orc snarled at Legolas, who managed to restrain himself before storming out of the room leaving his father to question the orc.

"I do not care about one dead Slayer. Answer the question. You have nothing to fear. Tell us what you know and I will set you free." Thranduil continued.

Legolas jogged out of the Realm one thing on his mind. 'Ruive.'

"My Lord Legolas! Where are you going?!" An elf guarding the gate asked.

"Out." 

"What shall I tell the king?" 

"Nothing." Legolas ran into the forest following the trail the orcs took. 'Hold on Ruive, please.'

"Watch out!" Bofur called, spotting rock formations in the fog. 

Bard easily maneuver the barge around the ancient ruins.  

"What are you trying to do, drown us?" Thorin snapped.

"I was born and bred on these waters, Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here." Bard replied.

"Oh I have enough of this lippy lakeman. I say we throw him over the side and be done with him." Dwalin grumbled.

Ruive sighed angrily. "His name is Bard. And you should be grateful, if not for him we'd by at the mercy of orcs." Ruive walked away, hiding her limp, towards Bard.

"Your friends seem like pleasant people." Bard smirked.

Ruive scoffed. "Delightful." 

Ruive leaned against the side of the barge folding her arms over her chest. 

"How have you been? It's been years."

"As well as can be expected considering the circumstances." Bard sighed. "What about you? Sigrid and Bain have been wondering when you'd come back."

Ruive smiled thinking of Bard's children, last time she had been in Laketown Tilda was only a few years old and did not remember her. 

"I've been... Well. I've missed them too."

Bard smiled and was about to reply, but noticed they were nearing Laketown. Bard walked to where the dwarves were crowded.

"The money, quick, give it to me." Bard demanded hastily.