Chapter 4

Levi could smell the nerves radiating off Kira as she sat beside the kitsune and Malia. However, Levi had the decency to not pry into the girls business, not knowing if she wanted anyone to know that there was a problem. Malia, who she was currently helping with a math equation, did not.

"What's wrong with you?" Malia snapped, dropping the pencil and ignoring Levi's hand snatching out to grab it before it smacked into the ground. The alpha sighed and turned her body slightly so she could join in the conversation now that Malia had brought it up.

Kira looked startled that either of them had realised something wasn't quite right but she denied it.

"What? Me? Nothing!" She demanded, only convincing the other two supernaturals that something definitely was wrong.

Malia abruptly replied, Kira noticing Levi running a hand over her face at her pack members brutality. "You reek of anxiety and it's distracting."

Levi cut Malia off before she was anymore hostile and spoke in a nicer tone to Kira. "What's going on?"

"I found a for sale sign outside my house this morning. We're moving back to New York," Kira muttered, and Malia looked confused before returning to her maths problem. The kitsune looked shocked by her reaction but Levi mouthed the word 'progress' at her before they all fell into a deep silence; Kira thinking about moving, Malia thinking about maths and Levi thinking about someone else leaving.

Out on the field, Levi watched as Stiles arched the lacrosse stick and threw the ball, watching as it soared straight into the net of the goalie's stick. The other tryouts all laughed amongst themselves and Levi narrowed her eyes, not liking how rude they were being.

Scott patted his friends shoulder as Stiles moved to the back of the line, and they watched as Liam moved forward. The freshman eyed the ball, his eyes squinting slightly before a cocky grin crossed his face and he reached down, scooping the ball up and facing the goal.

"Maybe he's only good in goal and totally useless on the rest of the field?" Stiles threw out, trying to get his own hopes up.

Liam flicked his wrist and Levi watched as the ball sped off and flew straight into the goal. She sighed as she saw Scott and Stiles' deflated looks as they realised maybe they wouldn't be getting their spots back on the team after all.

"I hate this kid," Stiles forcefully told Scott as Liam cockily grinned again.

"We don't have to hate him, I mean, the team needs new players," he spoke but it didn't sound reassuring at all.

Stiles interrupted his line of thought, "And maybe a new team captain." Scott watched as Liam looked over into the bleachers, catching Levi's eye and he grinned before winking at the alpha. Scott wasn't sure what came over him but he was suddenly filled with determination to make his shot the best. He cast a quick glance to where Levi was now looking away from Liam and helping Malia with a maths equation.

Levi looked up just as Scott threw the ball, grinning as it sped through the air towards the goals. She was getting ready to cheer for him when the ball smacked into the side of the net and ricocheted away from the net. She watched sadly as Scott's face fell and he stared sadly forward.

The rest of the team burst into laughter and one of the freshmen yelled out at Scott.

"Nice one McCall!" Garrett teased, causing Levi's mouth to quirk slightly in a deep growl that only Malia seemed to hear. She looked over at her alpha for a moment before looking where Levi's eye line was.

"You like him." Malia decided, causing Levi to splutter in surprise as she turned to face Kira and Malia who were staring at her accusingly.

"What? No, we're just friends." Levi spoke quickly, very similar to how Kira had spoke when they mentioned something was up with the kitsune.

"There's something between you," Malia continued, not taking no for an answer. Levi sighed and shook her head.

"We're just co-alphas. That's all."

"You want it to be more, don't you?" Malia continued, and Levi just stared back down at the lacrosse game, not answering the question.

Kira broke the silence after they watched Stiles and Scott fail miserably to get the ball into the net. "Isn't the captain supposed to be one of the best players on the team?" She worried and Levi nodded, watching as Scott missed another shot. "Or good?"

They watched as Scott and Stiles moved to the side of the pitch to have a quick discussion. Levi was about to use her hearing to listen in when the coach yelled out her name.

"Hale! Get down here!"

After finding out she was a Hale, Melissa had gotten Derek to call in to change her school forms judging as he was her official legal guardian despite the fact she hardly saw him these days as she was always with the younger members of the pack.

Levi rose to her feet, scanning the field before jogging down the bleachers and standing beside Coach Finstock.

"Coach?" she asked, watching as the man studied his players.

He nodded at her but didn't directly say anything, instead blowing on his whistle and calling all the players in. Levi and Scott's eyes latched and neither wanted to look away but when coach started speaking he forced himself to turn his attention to the man.

"McCall, Stilinski, grab the long sticks. You're covering goal for 2 on 1's," he ordered before watching them all run away and turning back to Levi.

He studied her for a moment, looking at her clothing attire. Levi crossed her arms defensively before the coach finally spoke.

"You had probably the worst attendance I have ever seen at this school the past few months, but I'm hoping you will have a higher one this term?" He questioned, and Levi nodded but not sure what point he was actually trying to make judging by the fact it clearly wasn't her attendance.

He looked around before sighing and grabbing a spare lacrosse stick from his coach bag. He passed it to her and watched as she held it in both hands with a confused look on her face. Levi lightly passed it from hand to hand to try to get a feel of how the stick would balance in her hands.

"Sorry coach, I've never played in my life," she explained, looking back up at him with her eyes narrowed in confusion. He laughed and patted her on the back hardly.

"You'll get a hang of it. You might not have been here long, but I saw the way you ran with the twins during that cross country practice, and I know you've got sport in your blood." Levi squinted at him at the last part.

He just simply laughed. "I taught your older sister Cora," he explained before nudging her forward, ramming a helmet on to her head and pushing her gently into the crowd of guys waiting to take a chance against Scott and Stiles.

Levi stared around in confusion, not even sure how you properly hold a lacrosse stick. She noticed Liam walking towards her and he smiled before extending a hand.

"Hi, I'm Liam! I didn't realise girls were allowed to try out?" He questioned but Levi shook her head confused.

"I've never played this before; Coach just gave me a stick and told me to try." She tensed slightly as the boy moved forward, moving slightly behind her and reaching around her to adjust her arms and the position she was holding the stick in.

Stiles and Scott were bickering about using Scott's powers when they noticed the freshman talking to Levi. Scott felt the jealously rise again, his eyes shining red as he looked over at the alpha and freshman.

He grabbed his helmet, slamming it on to his head before tightening his grip around his stick before turning to look at Stiles.

"Let's do this."