Chapter 19

That power belongs to me. I am the rightful Hale!" Peter snapped, watching as his blonde companion rolled her eyes.

"And you'll get it back, but first we need to keep her safe from those stupid assassins. If she dies, we both lose out on our goal here," Kate Argent replied, flicking her blonde hair back over her shoulder.

The key to power for both of them came in the shape of two people: Scott McCall and Levi Hale.

///.///

"Levi, wake up," a soft voice murmured against the sick alpha's ear, the soft scent of wood and pine and home filling her senses. The room was dark against her senses being weakened from the mysterious draining sensation she had been facing since the dowsing of gasoline days prior, but that didn't mean that she couldn't instantly feel Scott's presence engulfing her.

She sat up slightly, her body pressing against his warm arms. "Scott?"

"It's over Levi, the dead pool, it's gone," he murmured happily, burrowing her head into his neck as he clung on tightly to her. Levi's breath hitched for a moment as she fully tried to process what it was that Scott was actually telling her.

"For real?" She coughed, noticing Scott's slight cringe at her condition.

"For real."

Levi murmured before leaning back and drifting back into a sleep. Scott knew the alpha was seriously ill, the girl was never one for naps let alone staying in her bed for too long. So many years of being on the run with Deucalion had taught her that sleep could be kept to a minimum as it was a dormant state of vulnerability. Sure, she was now adapting to a life without Deucalion but it was such a long period of time in her life that bad habits still plagued her daily routines.

"I'm going to help you Levi, even if it takes all the time in the world," Scott swept a hand lightly across her forehead, quickly removing it due to her boiling temperature. But first, there was something he knew he was needing to do.

//.//

Walking into the house, Scott tried to keep the noise down to avoid from waking up his overworking and struggling mother, but much to his avail it was her who greeted him at the door.

"Hey, sorry I'm back so late. I was closing up the Animal Clinic. I got more hours to earn a little extra... money," he trailed off, noticing the duffle bag filled to the brim with Derek's money sitting on the table in front of him. Melissa gave him a shocked and disapproving look as she pointedly looked towards the bag on display.

"How much more did you need?" She exclaimed, confused at what was happening in front of her.

"This is payment from the dead pool. I found it in Garrett's locker," Scott began to explain before she cut him off.

"This belongs to Derek? So you're just keeping it safe for him in a gym bag underneath your bed? How long have you had it? Is this not also Levi's?" Her voice rose slightly, confused as to why Scott was laundering money under his bed for such a long period of time.

"Too long." He agreed, looking longingly at the bag with a hint of shame.

"You know you have to give it back?"

"I was going to. Do I want to know why you haven't? Because of you," he explained, his head dipping a little as his mum looked at him in utter shock and confusion. 

"Me? You mean because we've been struggling a little" 

"Mom, we're struggling a lot."

"Scott, you can save people's lives," Melissa started, sighing softly as she looked at the alpha who only wanted to save everyone from pain and wrongdoing. "But you cannot save them from life; life is full of struggle."