Chapter 28 - Sweet Friends

Ella snaps the picture, but Charlie doesn't move that far away. We came to a café together after both Ella and Charlie insisted so much that I had to join them for the weekend. They finally had a day off and, without having to study or anything, and they wanted to do something nice and chill. Because it had been a pretty low week for me and because Cece and Pete had plans, I agreed. Both Charlie and Ella live in Oxford so it's nice to have friends in my hometown.

So far, we have been eating in a booth by the window, Ella across from me and Charlie by my side because he insisted. We have not only eaten in this while but I also got an Instagram account and Ella said that as they made me the account I was obliged to a post a picture with them as my first post. So we took a selfie together and I was taught how to use this thing. Then Charlie told Ella to take a picture of the two of us so he could post it on his own account.

"Okay, and now that I have posted it you can use another app to re-gram or take a screen shot," Charlie explains to me once Ella gives him the mobile back and he has uploaded the picture.

It's actually cute, even if I look tired and kind of uncomfortable because Charlie had his arm wrapped around my waist and pulled me so close, but he is smiling brightly and so happily that the whole picture lights up.

"Now do a—how do you say it? Kawaii? I think so," Charlie thinks out loud. "Do a kawaii pose for me."

He aims the camera to me and I kind of panic, so I just frame my face in my palms, trying to do what he asked, keeping a smile and trying to look cute. It'll probably will be an epic fail.

"Oh, that is really cute. New contact picture," he states solemnly, showing me the picture. I think I look ridiculous but oh well, at least he won't post it. "Why do you put your hands like that?" he asks next, imitating the typical pose cupping his face between his palms that form a V.

"I think it's to make your face look a bit smaller and a bit more heart-shaped, but ultimately it's just because it's cute," I try to explain and both Ella and Charlie look at each other, evaluating the pose, making me chuckle.

"Ella still looks stupid, that doesn't help her," Charlie finally comments, almost defeated and I can't help my laugh.

"Oi!" Ella complains, throwing a napkin at him. "You look stupid, too."

I am an only child so I don't really know, but based on what I've seen in films I think Ella and Charlie do act like siblings. Their dynamic is like that and I guess they really see each other as only that. I don't think there's even room for confusion there and there will never be.

"At least we are making Ann laugh, so I guess it doesn't matter if we look stupid." Charlie looks at me after saying that, a little smile on his lips and I lose mine.

Is it still that obvious that I don't feel well? That I'm sad and heartbroken. I haven't been able to cheer up after that party and what Gareth said. The confirmation that he is aware of my feelings and he can't reciprocate them. The humiliation that I felt. I'm so thankful I've been so busy because I don't need excuses to avoid him, I don't even have time to think about him because I'm all day booked, meeting after meeting, planning and working on figuring out what to do next. I can't even reply his text messages until it's really late and I'm practically falling asleep.

"Should we ask what's wrong?" Ella utters, breaking through my train of thoughts and reminding me I'm hanging out with them.

"I feel embarrassed to tell," I confess, looking down. My eyes lock on the cup of coffee in front of me I haven't touched it but the once cute drawing of a teddy bear is disappearing.

I notice Ella leaning forward, resting her elbows on the table and cupping her face. Charlie at my side does something similar, I feel him shifting to focus his total attention on me.