Seven

"Well you see some of us have work to do, which by the way I gotta go because I'm walking in right now. Bye." I snapped my flip phone shut and opened the door to my building for work. Unbelievable, I swear he never works.

How can a neurosurgeon always be so lenient and available? What if he isn't good at his job and that's why? Oh god I sure hope not.

I settle my things in, surprising packed a lunch today instead of doing my daily run to the deli. I start up my desktop and see that I have five assignments for this week. God. I sigh and get started, time to dig in.

Around lunch time I've decided I've reached my quota of reading, enough. I pull out my sandwich, frankly I don't even know what I put on it but it looks good and edible so it must be good. Curiosity tempts me and I pull up safari on my desktop typing 'Derek Shepherd' in the search engine.

A world renowned neurosurgeon. Damn. Worked at Mount Sinai before transferring to Seattle Grace Hospital three years ago, interesting. Head of neurosurgery at SGH, shocker. Bowdoin graduate, top of class there as well.

I quickly exit out and finish my lunch. Back to work.

//

It's about eight o'clock when I get home. Traffic was a total nightmare and a semi truck jack-knifed on the road, crushing four cars.

I turn all the lights on, my usual habit and head to the kitchen. For some reason I feel very uneasy in my own house and I don't like that feeling. Quickly I pull out my phone and hit the only number I have on speed dial.

The phone rings twice before he answers. "Derek? Is there a possibility you can come over?" He explains that he was just finishing checking up on his post ops, would be leaving in about ten minutes and could be here in twenty. I let out a heavy sigh. He asks if everything is alright and to my surprise I answer honestly, telling him I don't feel comfortable right now and something is putting me on edge. With that he says I'll be there right away, notifying he will call me as soon as he leaves the attending a lounge.

I snap my phone shut and sit on the counter, not feeling comfortable sitting anywhere else. I hate this feeling. What I hate almost as much is relying on someone like this, he's bound to leave, which means I should distance myself from him. But the thing is, I don't want to. I don't know how much time goes by as I'm left with my thoughts but I hear a doorbell and a knock, causing my heart to beat ten times quicker. It must be Derek.

I head over to the front entrance and see him waiting on the other side of the door. I open it so he can enter and immediately I'm gathered in his embrace. I feel my body freeze at first but it starts to relax as I become familiar to the embrace.

It's weird, being hugged. I haven't been hugged in so long and I've forgotten what it feels like. I don't think it ever feels this good but I'd like to hope so. No one has ever touched me or gotten this close to me since the rapist. All I know is that he's in jail now, thank god for that. But that certainly doesn't help with the damage of it.

Derek lets me go and looks into my eyes. "You're okay." He says to me softly. I can feel my eyes tearing up and my vision becoming blurry. He pulls me back in an embrace, my chin resting on his shoulder as I cry. I hate this feeling.

"I hate the power one man has over me. Even when he's behind bars for the rest of his life, I hate this." I continue to cry as he holds me tightly, his hands rubbing my back and him cooing "shhh's" in my ear.

He releases me and grabs my hand, a gesture I've never had happen to me. I resist the urge to pull my hand out of his grasp but I know I can trust this man before me. He takes me over to the living room and sits us down. I watch as he kicks off his shoes and takes of his trench coat. He pulls me towards him and I scoot closer.