10- This Means War

I blink a few times as I am confused on where I am. I hear beeping. What is beeping? My vision is a little blurry but I can still make things out.

"You're awake." Hanna smiles gratefully.

Why am I here?

"Where am I?" I ask as I attempt to sit up.

"The hospital." Hanna explains, "You had a stab wound on your arm and you were completely dehydrated."

A stab wound? That's what the pain was. I take a look at my arm to see layers of bandages wrapped around the middle section of it. They are clean and do not have any blood on them. I know they have been changed because my old bandage was covered in blood.

Why didn't A just let me die from blood loss? Why did he/she save me?

"How do you feel?" Hanna gives me a soft smile.

"Okay, I guess." I shrug whilst pushing a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Thank you." I smile gratefully, "For saving me."

She smiles before rubbing my good arm comfortably.

There is a knock at my door and I look to see who it is.

It is Jayden. Why is Jayden here?

He opens the door and smiles at me, but gives Hanna a nod.

"I'll give you two some space." Hanna gets up from the hospital chair and walks out of my spacious room.

I am silent for a while, as he pours some bottled water into a plastic cup in the corner of the room.

"Does it hurt?" He asks, returning to me and giving me the water.

"Thanks," I say as I take a sip, "and not really. I can't feel anything."

He twiddles his fingers before running his hand through his thick black hair.

"Who is A?" He asks spontaneously.

I freeze for a moment, unsure how he knows. Do I deny it? Do I tell him?

"I don't know what you're talking about." I deny as I anxiously drink more and more water.

"I saw the text." He sighs and I squint.

"What text?" I frown.

I didn't bring my phone to the fair because I didn't want my night to get spoilt by some stupid A text message. Turns out, A took action instead.

"When you disappeared," He begins, "I told Hanna what had happened. Then she got a text. A wanted to exchange you for Alison."

I look at him with sadness, and the feeling of being trapped in this mess makes it worse. I look fearful.

"I can help." He states, but it is meaningless.

Nobody can help, because A is always one step ahead of us.

"You can help." I look away, "You don't understand."

"Then explain it to me." He begs at the side of my bed.

"I would," I roll my eyes, "if you needed to know."

He rolls his eyes shortly after I do.

"You could have died last night." He states, "I need to know what I can do to stop this from happening again."

It's possible but highly doubtable since my injuries weren't significant enough.

"Why do you care?" I spit out angrily.